Topic: Widget Hosting

Hello Everyone,
I used to be an avid Chumby user but then got busy the past year or so. After plugging in my Chumby I was shocked to see that my widgets were gone!

So after reading through the forums I was thinking about using one of the servers I have in a datacenter to serve up widgets and other Chumby related things. Would anyone be interested in having me host anything?
The datacenter I am located in has a 99.99% uptime and plenty of bandwidth.

It would be a free community repository, with moderation, meaning I will not host a widget that you a.)Do Not Have Permission to Host b.)Did not make or c.)Uses excessive bandwidth.

If you need the server to process any backend I can also make that work and can work with you on requirements for anything you may want to try out. I am very open to playing around and would love to start developing for the Chumby again.

Re: Widget Hosting

brendan wrote:

Hello Everyone,
I used to be an avid Chumby user but then got busy the past year or so. After plugging in my Chumby I was shocked to see that my widgets were gone!

So after reading through the forums I was thinking about using one of the servers I have in a datacenter to serve up widgets and other Chumby related things. Would anyone be interested in having me host anything?
The datacenter I am located in has a 99.99% uptime and plenty of bandwidth.

It would be a free community repository, with moderation, meaning I will not host a widget that you a.)Do Not Have Permission to Host b.)Did not make or c.)Uses excessive bandwidth.

If you need the server to process any backend I can also make that work and can work with you on requirements for anything you may want to try out. I am very open to playing around and would love to start developing for the Chumby again.

This seems to be a great temporary solution. Maybe, with Duane's permission, you can clone the current EC2 instances he has with the stub server to see if it's up to the task, and then gradually add some of Chumby Industries' widgets on different channels.

Re: Widget Hosting

Or possibly, we could use the ec2 instances and my servers and work on load balancing.