Topic: My Streams for I8 units

Is there a possibility of having My Streams on the I8's? I know Duane has been busy but he did say he would put in on the list of things to do. I think the C8s already have that but I8 was left out because BB controlled the music source of their units.

Also, I would like to know if there are any possibilities for the iPod music source on the CC? I was told it was supposed to connect an old iPod and play iTunes or something. Is there some other option for this music source? Plug in another mp3 by USB and play it that way? I think I just need to get a small, large capacity flash drive and load all my music up on it.

Lastly, is there a way to connect podcasts through music source (such as My Streams)? I really miss YouStreams. Wish that could be anchored to the music source section.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Re: My Streams for I8 units

demarks51 wrote:

Also, I would like to know if there are any possibilities for the iPod music source on the CC? I was told it was supposed to connect an old iPod and play iTunes or something.

That's what it does. Connect an iPod (not an iPhone) and the Chumby will display the file list and you can play the music off the iPod through the Chumby.

demarks51 wrote:

Is there some other option for this music source?

No, not for the iPod source as such.

demarks51 wrote:

Plug in another mp3 by USB and play it that way? I think I just need to get a small, large capacity flash drive and load all my music up on it.

Yes, you can do this but not through the iPod source on the Music menu. Music off a USB stick will appear under 'My Music Files'. What you can do with it is limited. I don't think m3u playlists are supported, but I may be wrong. You can play the tracks in the order they appear on the drive; you can select one track at a time (but not queue them) and I think you can play by album. I haven't done this for a long time, so I might be wrong on the fine details.
You might also want to look at the Squeezebox server option for playing music off your computer through your Chumby.

demarks51 wrote:

Lastly, is there a way to connect podcasts through music source (such as My Streams)? I really miss YouStreams. Wish that could be anchored to the music source section.

I've done it with Zurk's firmware, and you should be able to do something similar by altering the files for either the CBS or NYT podcasts.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8233

If you REALLY want My Streams, then why don't you just convert your I8s to Chumby 8 firmware? I hear that C8 firmware is better than I8 firmware in quite a few other ways, as well. Plus, the Chumby 8 is (from the box) "like, totally awesome" and "has the Wi-Fis".

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=36667#p36667 for how to install the firmware.

Tried to download software using this link and would not work.

6 (edited by nathanm 2013-04-04 09:03:08)

Try this link, posted at the end of the thread: https://www.box.com/s/95249fc14f1912ef588b

All it is is a debugchumby script. Presumably, you just put that on an SD card and it does the rest for you.

I have gone all over this forum trying to find the latest best way to make an infocast8 into a Chumby8 without the hassles.  I hear problems and all. But it seems that the C8 firmware update is the best choice. I just can't seem to find what I need to do that. Maybe it is because of being 62 and trying to keep up. One more time:
Please give me the instructions to completely change an I8 to a C8 and what are the consequences for doing this? And how can I go back if I find remorse for doing it?

8 (edited by nathanm 2013-04-04 11:40:03)

demarks51 wrote:

I have gone all over this forum trying to find the latest best way to make an infocast8 into a Chumby8 without the hassles.  I hear problems and all. But it seems that the C8 firmware update is the best choice. I just can't seem to find what I need to do that. Maybe it is because of being 62 and trying to keep up. One more time:
Please give me the instructions to completely change an I8 to a C8 and what are the consequences for doing this? And how can I go back if I find remorse for doing it?

Step 1: Extract that zip file into the root of the flash drive. It only should have the debugchumby script inside. In case the file link I provided goes down, I have it mirrored here: https://mega.co.nz/#!VpQ0XSrK!IglJ8RNfR … _n-zSXm--E

Step 2: Reboot the I8 with the flash drive you prepared in Step 1 plugged into your Chumby.

That's it.

According to tylerfixer, the author of the code, to revert just ssh into your I8 and issue "rm /psp/cp_hardware_ver".

To SSH, use a tool like PuTTY on Windows. Type the I8's IP into "Host Name" and leave the port the same. To use SSH, first look at the Wiki page for your device: http://wiki.blueocty.com/index.php?titl … trol_Panel

EDIT: On the Chumby 8, use these directions to get to the SSH menu, and then tap SSHD to start SSH.