Topic: downloadable channels

What I have in mind as future solution is to bring up the site again where you can configure your channels as usually, but then not propagate the configuration directly to the chumby, but offer a download link for the whole configuration including the widgets (packed in a zip file ore something like that), which I can then put on a stick and plug it into the device. So everything the chumby needs to operate would be there locally stored, the only information that needs to get pulled from the server is whether there is a widget in the channel which was removed by the author, and in that case the widget is just skipped.

And beside the download link there should be a donation button for reminding people to give something for what they get smile

I think that would be a solution which is very close to the old system, but would reduce the server load to the minimum necessary. An I think most needed parts should be there already, so it should be doable with rather small changes to the server and the controlpanel.

What do you think?

Re: downloadable channels

It seems like a pretty good solution to me. However, someone posted on one of my threads the rather good point that some people don't want to get additional hardware for their discontinued device. That's a problem. Personally, I don't care about the method used, as long as it's the cheapest possible for Duane and the community to pay its bills and use it on their devices.

3 (edited by Christian 2013-03-08 04:09:16)

Yes, I read that some people think this could be a concern. But I think most people will have an old stick lying around somewhere or can buy a cheap one in a store around the corner, so I think this will not be a very big problem for most people.

And I am very convinced that the only permanent solution is to store the widgets somewhere locally, and since the Classic has no permanent memory, there is no other way then plug something in.

The other big concern with this method is the legality.  Many threads recently have discussed the rights/license of the widget authors.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I know the legal discussions: The authors have the right to remove their widgets from the system. This is why I suggested that the chumbys should check on the server whether a widget was removed or not. If this is done, the situation is exactly as it was in the old system. (In fact it would be a little more strict than the old system.)

Christian -

Christian wrote:

I know the legal discussions: The authors have the right to remove their widgets from the system. This is why I suggested that the chumbys should check on the server whether a widget was removed or not. If this is done, the situation is exactly as it was in the old system. (In fact it would be a little more strict than the old system.)

I like it.  You can get an obsolete USB stick for $5.

cfg83