Topic: Looking for the latest Firmware Version for the InfoCast 8

I am trying to find the latest firmware version for the Insignia infocast 8. 
The current version I have is:
Control Panel: 5.0.35
Software Version: 1.0.5
Firmware Version: 1.0.3548
I believe the latest version is 1.8.2.  I went over to Insignia's web page looking for the firmware, but it just points back to chumby.com main page

Re: Looking for the latest Firmware Version for the InfoCast 8

You have the current firmware for this device.

The 1.8.2 firmware is the current version for the Chumby 8, not the Infocast 8.

My I8 is

CP 3.124
SW 1.0.5
FW 1.0.3548
Model number 97

It might be helpful to get all units on the best parameters.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

hi

My infocast is stuck at please wait.

Where can I get the latest firmware and put it on a USB stick to boot the upgrader?

I caqn't seem to find the instructions for doing this.  Were they on the old site?

5 (edited by demarks51 2013-07-30 12:37:31)

Infocast 8: http://files.chumby.com/resources/infoc … update.zip

See the entire listing for firmware: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8607

I don't know if this is the correct place to post or not.  I have owned a infocast 3.5 & infocast 8 for years.  I hadn't been using them at all.  This past summer I began using them again and, of course, noticed that the widgets, except for the clock, were gone.  It wasn't the end of the world, since both still had blue octy, shoutcast and (especially) I heart radio music apps.  I have since purchased two more used infocast 8's (via ebay). Neither has I heart radio capability.  Is there any way to get them to run I heart radio?  There is enough functionality in the devices if they have that, plus the ability to play my own mp3 mixes and as a digital picture frame.

I know you can install Chumby8 firmware on an Infocast8 but I do not remember if I Heart Radio is on the Chumby8. I usually listen to Pandora.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Chumby 8 does have I Heart radio. I just checked on mine and it still works.

The iheartradio functionality is tied to the hardware version not the software or firmware version.

Insignia did not license iheartradio for the I8 hardware.

Duane, does your response mean that there is no way to "update" my new used I8 units so that they can receive IHeart Radio?

The Blue Octy server that delivers the music sources to the devices currently enforces the contractual relationship between Best Buy/Insiginia and Clear Channel.

As long as the device identifies itself to the server as I8 hardware, then this will be the case.  The hardware code is embedded in the "crypto" processor, which has its own separate firmware, and is not field-upgradable.

Can you just use the I8 to C8 software to change your bb unit into a Chumby? I don't remember if I can get iHeart on my morphed I8. I will have to look again.
On another issue: Can AccuRadio be added to the list of  music at this present time? It just became available on my Roku.

13 (edited by Doktor Jones 2013-09-23 03:01:34)

Duane wrote:

The Blue Octy server that delivers the music sources to the devices currently enforces the contractual relationship between Best Buy/Insiginia and Clear Channel.

As long as the device identifies itself to the server as I8 hardware, then this will be the case.  The hardware code is embedded in the "crypto" processor, which has its own separate firmware, and is not field-upgradable.

this is why i am a bit confused... My Insignia 8 DOES play I Heart Radio, but the other Insignia 8 units I have obtained do not.  So I know that at least, at some point, the infocast was capable of this.  What I want to do is to make all of these units I Heart Radio capable.  Does that make sense?