Re: Beta test of "stub" server

Hmmmm...not seeing anything wrong on the server - I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Absolutely fantastic!
My thanks to those responsible. I only used my Chumby as an alarm clock and to listen to my programmed Pandora night music channel. I did have my stock quotes run daytime, but to be honest, it is fine for me as is. I have the Chumby one I guess, the one that is white and a cube with a blue line? I am totally unfamiliar with the programming and just want to know what is next?

a coworker had a brand new chumby - Black Leather with the little siver tab on the side - and i brought it home to use as an alarm clock.
I turned it on and connected it to the WiFi and got the Star Trek clock but my time will not change from the default startup time and year of 69.
i made sure it is set to update to network time.
also one other thing i see is if i try to adjust the time slider it keeps snapping back to the lowest setting.
i know that the chumby is brand new as it still had the plastic on the front screen.
I was wondering if it was not working properly due to never communicating with the original server and never updating to the newest firmware????
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You can check the firmware version on the Settings ->Chumby Info page. It should be SW: 1.7.2

Duane wrote:

You can check the firmware version on the Settings ->Chumby Info page. It should be SW: 1.7.2

I have a C8, but my firmware is 1.8.2. Do different models have different firmware versions?

linkmandrew wrote:
Duane wrote:

I have a C8, but my firmware is 1.8.2. Do different models have different firmware versions?

Yes.

Duane wrote:

I checked and it is SW 1.4.0 - I would say since mine is an older version that is what is causing my issues?
Is there any way to upgrade this to a stable version?
Thanks for the help.

Please see this thread. I will be updating it for instructions for all devices, however, I've already added the instructions for your device.

Duane wrote:

Please see this thread. I will be updating it for instructions for all devices, however, I've already added the instructions for your device.

Thanks for all the >>>>>>>Super Fast help.
Instructions are easy and grabed the file so i will update when i get home.
Thanks again.

I have an Infocast 8 inch model. Does the update work for that model as well? All I see now is the clock calendar.

bclinton -

bclinton wrote:

I have an Infocast 8 inch model. Does the update work for that model as well? All I see now is the clock calendar.

The stub server *only* has the space clock for now.  It also still supports internet radio.

cfg83

Ok thanks. I sure miss that ole boy! Waking up in the morning looking at the headlines. sigh..... smile

I may have screwed it up though....I ssh'ed into it and tried to change the root PW. It never asked me for the new PW so I gave up....now when I try to ssh into it it needs telling me invalid PW - it does not accept 'no PW'. I must have changed it somehow. I copied and pasted instructions from a site on how to change it but it never seemed to work but I guess it did change it to who knows what. Is there a way to wipe it? I tried the factory reset and that didnt do it.

bclinton wrote:

Ok thanks. I sure miss that ole boy! Waking up in the morning looking at the headlines. sigh..... smile

I may have screwed it up though....I ssh'ed into it and tried to change the root PW. It never asked me for the new PW so I gave up....now when I try to ssh into it it needs telling me invalid PW - it does not accept 'no PW'. I must have changed it somehow. I copied and pasted instructions from a site on how to change it but it never seemed to work but I guess it did change it to who knows what. Is there a way to wipe it? I tried the factory reset and that didnt do it.

I believe the factory reset only defaults the /psp partition, so any changes you made to the rootfs don't take.  Maybe you can follow the "update firmware" procedure Duane has here: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8654

That should wipe the main partition and get you back to normal.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I wonder if the firmware for the infocast 3.5 will work for my 8 incher?

Nope, the 3.5 and 8 are different hardware platforms, so the firmwares are incompatible.

Thanks. Glad I asked smile

I found a couple of firmware files from various forums.

Zurk_dhumby8_infocast and one other one that appears to be for the 8 incher. Do you think they would be ok....it looked like the zurk one I could place on a USB stick and have the infocast boot from it without loading it to try it out.

Thanks a million for the advise. I'm learning a lot about this little bugger...

You might be able to try the zurk one, but it likely won't fix your SSH password problem.

Materdaddy wrote:

You might be able to try the zurk one, but it likely won't fix your SSH password problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you plug in a USB keyboard to the Chumby and it will go into a terminal with root access? That might fix bclinton's problem, as he can undo the changes.

I'm not sure the USB keyboard "hack" works on the 8-inchers...

70 (edited by servalan 2013-03-21 20:26:27)

I'm not sure if the same holds true for infocast... but on my little guy (CC) I load my version of the shadow file every time I boot.

Mount /etc r/w & then copy from usb stick in debugchumby like so.

# cat /mnt/usb/debugchumby

mount -t loop -o bind /psp/etc /etc
cp /mnt/usb/shadow /etc/shadow

If you use something like the following for the shadow file on /mnt/usb - blank passwds for root & default:

root::10933:0:99999:7:::
bin:*:10933:0:99999:7:::
daemon:*:10933:0:99999:7:::
adm:*:10933:0:99999:7:::
lp:*:10933:0:99999:7:::
sync:*:10933:0:99999:7:::
shutdown:*:10933:0:99999:7:::
halt:*:10933:0:99999:7:::
uucp:*:10933:0:99999:7:::
operator:*:10933:0:99999:7:::
nobody:*:10933:0:99999:7:::
default::10933:0:99999:7:::

Debugchumby goo runs as root on boot... so you can do stuff there before your passwd comes into play. Does that get you out of a hole?

If you are still using the beta server, please replace your hosts file with the default.  I will be taking down the beta server for update or replacement.

Closing and unsticking the thread