Re: Zurk's Chumby One Offline Firmware (chumby1/infocast3.5/classic only!)

galadriel wrote:

Where the heck did it go?

I wasn't able to download/save anything for a few days thanks to a computer snafu.  During that time I saw a post on here about soeone who'd created a bit of java? code to download and convert your profile and all your widgets. 

I still can't get the profile working correctly with the latest version...and I Can. Not. Find. that post about the little program.  Where is it?  (I didn't hallucinate it, did I?  I am SURE I saw it!)

Thanks!

Are you referring to this?  http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=42766#p42766

Haaaaa, yes, I didn't imagine it! 

Thanks a ton smile

103 (edited by Obnates 2012-06-24 13:11:45)

Perhaps this has been answered in detail elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it, so my apologies if this is redundant:

I used the tool to download my profiles and offline mode runs them quite well.  However, I'm not sure how to clean up (remove) the profile that zurk put on there to start with.  I deleted profile0, profile1, and profile2 (which all came with his download) and renamed my profiles 0-2.  When I boot up in offline firmware mode, the channel list still includes the zurkian extra channels, but I can't select any of them (selecting them loads one of my profiles).  How do I get the zurkian channels removed from the channel list?

Also, I'm running this off of a USB drive, and I noticed that the metal end of the drive runs very hot after pulling it back out of the Chumby.  Is this normal?

104 (edited by bobsz 2012-06-24 18:03:39)

It sounds like you're talking about a C1 with v18. Honestly, I never bothered removing zurk's channels, just removed some widgets from the "offline firmware" channel. I figured I'd never track down all the appropriate swfs, thumbnails, etc, so I just left his stuff alone.

Did you fix the "headers" at the beginning of each new profile to refer to your new channels? The latest version I fully customized was v15, which had 2 zurk channels. So each profile needs to start out with an ID like this-

<profiles>
      <profile unaccepted="0" name="offline-mode" id="0" />
      <profile unaccepted="0" name="Squeezebox" id="1" />
<profile unaccepted="0" name="Basic Widgets" id="2" />
<profile unaccepted="0" name="New Apps" id="3" />
<profile unaccepted="0" name="Relaxation" id="4" />
    </profiles>

I know the offline firmware is touchy about the profiles being named in order, but it sounds like you've done that right. So, until I try to set up the firmware without zurk's channels, I'm afraid I can't help much. If I try it, I'll re-post back. I've had some problems with zurkware not recognizing the widget sub-folders (thumbnails,etc) but then my channels didn't work at all. I just mixed them all up into www again and edited the profiles. It was kind of the opposite of what's happening to you.

The longest I've used offline mode is about 3 days straight. I've noted the USBs run hot, but not so hot I was concerned. I don't know if that might be related to the other problem, or just the particular USB.

Zurk doesn't post here any more. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if he's even posting on his own forum, but you might want to give that a try. At least it has more details about changes in v18 than here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/forums/forum/12064

Hopefully, another forum member here will have a better answer. Please let us know if you discover anything.

Thanks for responding, bobsz. 

It looks like I'm doing everything right except one thing:  I can't seem to find the place where the channels/profiles appear in the Change Channel menu.  That is, my profiles run offline like they should, and the deleted zurkian channels won't, but they still show up in the list when I go to switch channels. 

I just posted this over on the sourceforge forum, so we'll see if zurk or anyone else responds.

106 (edited by dyfan 2012-06-30 01:53:38)

EDIT: After reading again I see v10 onwards is compatible. Sorry!

I'm confused, will this work on the original Chumby classic?  Zurk has said that it will not work (around page 3 I think), yet the title includes classic?

Thanks.

Works on mine.

Obnates wrote:

Thanks for responding, bobsz. 

It looks like I'm doing everything right except one thing:  I can't seem to find the place where the channels/profiles appear in the Change Channel menu.  That is, my profiles run offline like they should, and the deleted zurkian channels won't, but they still show up in the list when I go to switch channels. 

I just posted this over on the sourceforge forum, so we'll see if zurk or anyone else responds.

@obnates- glad to see you got an answer to your question from zurk's forum. In case anyone else was following your question, this was their reply:

"remove from header in the profiles and list file.
metal heating is normal as your usb is acting as a heatsink."

Hi.
I have developed some time ago a simple European style digital clock (24 hour format).  The swf was placed in Chumby server and now of course my widged is not working anymore. My question is, is there any SIMPLE way to use these widgets in Chumby one offline again?
-kiplis-

@dyfan
The offline firmware works on my chumby classic with some minor flaws.

@mwalimu
Does the night mode work on your chumby ?
On my chumby it doesn't.

I know there are instructions on how to turn off the voice that says "WELCOME TO ZURK'S OFFLINE FIRMWARE" somewhere on the forums, but I can't find 'em. Anyone remember where that post is?

dannysland wrote:

I know there are instructions on how to turn off the voice that says "WELCOME TO ZURK'S OFFLINE FIRMWARE" somewhere on the forums, but I can't find 'em. Anyone remember where that post is?

I'm not familiar with the thread you're looking for, but there appears to be no "switch" in the startup script for the talking bit.

You can probably get rid of it by manually editing the debugchumby script, or easier than that, remove the "TalkingChumby" directory from your USB stick before plugging it into your chumby.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Materdaddy wrote:

You can probably get rid of it by manually editing the debugchumby script, or easier than that, remove the "TalkingChumby" directory from your USB stick before plugging it into your chumby.

Worth a shot. I'll try it later.

It was mentioned on the zurk Sourceforge forum- yes, he says edit the debugchumby script

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/fo … ic/5576101

Actually, it's a funny post.

Hi All-

So I'm trying to make this work and I must be mucking something up...

I've got a C8.  I've unzipped v18 (with all included directories) to a fat32 formatted 1 GB USB stick.

When I boot with the USB drive in I hear the robot voice so things seem to be working fine. 

Then the screen turns white for a sec and then it goes to time zone selection.

It seems to be skipping the screen  calibration part which is a problem since I can't tap my way out of the time zone selection screen.

What have I done wrong?

Whoops...Now I see there is a c8 specific download... trying that one now.

117 (edited by bj101 2013-02-26 17:53:26)

I now have just about everything  I had with the online firmware, the only thing left is the NOAA Radar or better yet, an animated gif widget to use my local news doppler radar.  Is either possible with the offline firmware?

BTW, the NOAA Radar widget would download http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/lite/N0R/RTX_0.png through http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/lite/N0R/RTX_7.png and loop them for the animation.

that is just a static radar image from weather underground.

looks like that won't be necessary, zurk says the next firmware will do animated gifs and it is due out before the end of the week.  NOAA has animated gifs along with the static pngs.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/f … ic/6842185

Hello,
I've got a Chumby Classic and I'm trying to install the Zurk Firmware.
It's giving me the error message that the firmware on the Chumby isn't up to date.
It's currently running 1.7.2 FW: 1830
What should I update it to?

use this for the classic :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/fi … p/download

Thanks delaney99, that's just what I needed.
Well done Zurk, two minutes after downloading and my Chumby is back up and running.

mrecord wrote:

Thanks delaney99, that's just what I needed.
Well done Zurk, two minutes after downloading and my Chumby is back up and running.

True, but the only way to actually set the apps to the right time zone and locale is to use a complicated system of XML editing that I just can't do.

Have you tried Editpad Lite for XML editing? When our Chumby widgets come back, you can save your own profiles to find out your own parameters. Problem is, zurk's changed around some of the widgets himself, so it's not as straightforward as it used to be. It's a shame zurk didn’t keep some of his earlier builds available. They were much closer to the original Chumby stuff, much easier to modify. So, let's keep hoping Blue Octy brings things back for us.

125 (edited by delaney99 2013-04-26 21:07:49)

much easier to modify ? please. inserting a usb disk with widgets, clicking modify widgets and dropping them into the channel using a web page is tougher than editing xml ? not for the rest of us who arent xml hackers.
right time zone is by using the chumby interface and setting the weather in the correct locale is as simple as copying and pasting a few urls into a webpage and hitting save.
dont know which of the firmwares you two have used, but clearly you have not tried any recent ones.