Topic: Clock widget freezing

Is anyone else having problems with the clock widget freezing?  The last 2 days I have come home from work to find the widget frozen on my C8.  I have to exit to the control and restart the channel to get it going again.  Anyone else seeing this?

Re: Clock widget freezing

No, it is going well here on my Classics and C1. Might be a C8 problem.
I had a lot of silent channel-change alarms, as well as Night Mode on/off alarms and it's sailing through these OK. Obviously, the channel-change alarms no longer do anything, but I haven't removed them on two of the devices and they're not causing any hiccups. Night Mode on/off alarms are working fine.

Mine is working perfectly on my C8

I think the stub service is great!  The clock I WAS using was the LCARS clock, and weather, so I am 90% home already  smile

I've noticed the date in the calender display doesn't move on my CC as well as my I3.5 at work.  The date itself shows correctly on the right, and the time keeps moving but the numbered calendar itself stays the same as the first day the widget displays.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Yeah the calender has a bug - it doesn't change each day. I'll need to fix that.

I don't know what the deal is...It works fine for a few days, then starts freezing again.  Last 3 days I came home from work the clock widget was frozen.  I have to exit to the control panel and restart it.  It always freezes around 2:30-2:45pm....no one else has this problem on a C8?

I also have problems with correct time at times. I have a I3.5 and an I8 in my bedroom and at one time the clocks were not synced. I restarted both and they synced. They were about 2 minutes off from each other.
One problem is that my I3.5 sometimes asks me to go through the wifi settings again when I restart and I click on my home network again and it finally completes and shows the clock. The I8 never does that unless I am having internet problems.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Time for some testing...I fired up my Chumby Classic.  I am going to run both and see if they both hang at the same time.  If one hangs and the other doesn't, must be some sort of bug in the C8.

Hmm. This is interesting. I am running the Clock and Temperature widget on my C1 and I3.5 and I noticed that this was locking up every few days. (For example, it did this at 8:14 PM EST tonight.) I assumed it was just poor coding on the part of the developer. But, maybe if the Space Clock is also freezing, perhaps it is not related to the widget, but is caused by something else.

By the way, I found that if I move to another widget, and then back to the Clock/Temperature widget, everything starts working fine again. Of course, if a Chumby only has the Space Clock on it, perhaps just trying a channel reload would accomplish the same thing.

Well...I got home from work today only to find the clock widget on my C8 frozen at 2:44PM.  My Chumby Classic, however, was not frozen.  So there must be some sort of bug with the Chumby 8's.

Duane...is there anyway to troubleshoot this?

It might be fun to "avoid" that time of day - ie set an alarm to go into Night Mode at 2:00 and wake it back up at 3:00 and see if that works.

This bug seems really odd because it does not appear to be related to uptime, but rather time of day.  i can't think of anything special about 2:44 PM.

Another thing I'd do is change the timezone to see if it's the 2:44 that's the problem, or the universal time corresponding to it.

12 (edited by kgeissler 2013-03-07 21:35:59)

Well...putting my C8 into night mode between 2pm and 3pm didn't work.  I got home today and it was frozen at 3:59PM.   Again, my Chumby Classic was running fine.

Duane, do you have a C8 at home that you can test?  Another thing...before Chumby went under, I was talking to a tech person there regarding my weather widget not updating. (This thread: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=7391)  They sent me a couple of test firmwares to load on my chumby.  I wonder if that is causing the problem.  Here  is a screen shot of my device info.  Is this stuff correct?  If not, how can I load the stock firmware?

http://imgur.com/FkEQRzX

Yeah, that's not a production build.  That's a "smoke" build, which means that it came from the engineering nightly builds and was never tested.

You need to install the production build, See this thread - put the zip file on a dongle and install from special options.

It's a build from Syd.  I know that guy... tongue

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I am having problems with one of my Classics freezing.
This is my 'new' Classic that I just recently got second hand. It is running the zurkware and I didn't run it for any length of time before zurkifying it, so I don't know if it used to run OK or not.
It's frozen once on one of the clock widgets, and once in night mode.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
If nathanm's nathanware runs on a Classic, then I'll try that; otherwise I think I'll just pack it away until I can find something else to do with it.

steelpaw wrote:

I am having problems with one of my Classics freezing.
This is my 'new' Classic that I just recently got second hand. It is running the zurkware and I didn't run it for any length of time before zurkifying it, so I don't know if it used to run OK or not.
It's frozen once on one of the clock widgets, and once in night mode.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
If nathanm's nathanware runs on a Classic, then I'll try that; otherwise I think I'll just pack it away until I can find something else to do with it.

I'm pretty sure it'll work, however I don't have a Chumby Classic to test it with. If it doesn't work, I can "dispose of it" for you.