Re: "Stub" server scheduled to go live on Wednesday, February 20 2013

The "Space clock" widget is the only widget currently being served - this will likely be the case until the full service is restored, or you can explore one of the unofficial third-party "offline firmware" solutions.

You should have Pandora available in your music sources.

Thanks,  I got Pandora.  Now, is there a discussion thread for the offline firmware to enable weather?

I am not currently serving up weather data - but I believe zurk's firmware offers that.

Were there any server "hiccups" today?  When I got home from work my Chumby Clock was frozen at 2:49PM CST.  Had to reboot to fix it.

I have a Chumby 8, with the original firmware, and while the IHeartRadio app is still listed under the Music apps, none of its stations will play since the switch to the 'stub' service.

Anyone know if/when the IHeartRadio app will be functional again? Or, failing that, anyone know if I could get the IHeartRadio app working again by installing Zurk's Chumby 8 Offline FW?

It should be working.  Did you reboot the device since the switch?

Is anyone else having issues with iheartradio on C8?

Duane wrote:

It should be working.  Did you reboot the device since the switch?

Is anyone else having issues with iheartradio on C8?

Yes, I have rebooted several times.

I get the default channel with the LCARS clock, and everything seems to have switched over to the 'stub' without any other problems. But nothing happens when I choose to play a channel from within the IHeartRadio app, such as KFI-AM 640 (and the volume is definitely not muted or anything). I've tried doing the obvious, like hitting the stop button and then hitting play again, but I still get nothing whatsoever.

OK, I'll look into it. Do other audio sources work?

Duane wrote:

OK, I'll look into it. Do other audio sources work?

Yes, I've tested Shoutcast, CBS podcasts, and Blue Octy Radio, and they all seem to work fine. And everything still works when I play back audio saved to a flash drive. It's just the IHeartRadio app that no longer seems to work.

OK this should be fixed.  Anyone having this problem with IHR on C8 should reboot.

Moot point now, but I used to have problems with IHR on my C8 back in the olden days. I mostly use mystreams so it never really concerned me.

sdan451 wrote:

I cannot click thumbs up or thumbs down and the X button does not do anything.  I have to end up pulling the plug and rebooting to get out of Pandora and get the music to stop.

This should now be fixed - you'll need to reboot.

Minor but positive report, SD Card slideshow on C8 still works as well as before.

Duane - new service working well on my Classic. With music and alarm clock i have 80 percent of used functionality.  Othello and Dilbert missed but i will survive. 

Honestly i was expecting worse and so very happy; anything else you manage to get working is a bonus.  Like most here really appreciate your efforts and willing to donate to keep this level of service going.

Duane wrote:

OK this should be fixed.  Anyone having this problem with IHR on C8 should reboot.

Yep, working fine now. Thanks muchly, Duane.

Very happy with the results.  Funny enough this clock was the only widget I ran ... ever.  smile  Thanks for keeping it alive.

142 (edited by Jharahush 2013-02-23 22:49:18)

TheWalt wrote:

Very happy with the results.  Funny enough this clock was the only widget I ran ... ever.  smile  Thanks for keeping it alive.

Haha.  You're lucky; Local Info was my favorite and pretty much the only widget I ran.  I'm excited to see what the future holds -- if this HTML 5 talk eventually becomes reality, I'd try my hand at writing my own replacement for Local Info. smile

Either way, I'm happy that my Chumbies are still alive and the Star Trek clock is better than nothing!

143 (edited by thesamurai 2013-02-24 06:50:28)

OK, my Infocast 8 is not directing to Pandora or I've got some other problem.  Every time I select Pandora, it attempts to connect and comes back with "I'm sorry, Pandora is unavailable at this time" (paraphrasing from memory).  I have rebooted the I8 numerous times (unplug for 1 minute, plug back in), but Pandora never works.  My other audio sources that are showing on the I8 -- blue ocity and Shoutcast both work fine.  It is just Pandora that does not.

Also, Pandora on my Chumby One, in the next room, works just fine.  Both the Chumby One and I8 have been updated with the space clock, so they have the latest update from this week.  Neither of the devices has ever been hacked or addressed other than through the normal Chumby web site or user interface methods.  And the I8's Pandora worked just fine on Wednesday and prior.

I am confused as to why the I8 isn't able to connect to Pandora.  Any thoughts/help?

And, Duane, many thanks for all your work.  I'm ready to pay a subscription fee anytime!

I'll see if I can reproduce this issue.

EDIT: OK, I've found the problem, working on a fix.

EDIT: Fixed - you should not have to reboot.

145 (edited by sweh 2013-02-24 10:25:16)

Suggestion: A read-only "sticky" post that has the topic "Why am I seeing a Star Trek clock?"

My Chumby rebooted yesterday (power brownout) and I noticed I had this clock, but there was no obvious announcement.  I finally found this thread, though ;-)

Also days should be in ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD).  And infrastructure servers should always be on GMT :-)

I had assumed people would just go to www.chumby.com  - go figure.

sweh wrote:

Also days should be in ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD).  And infrastructure servers should always be on GMT :-)

You need to take up that issue with Starfleet.

Recent updates:

Fixed some Pandora and IHR issues on C8 and I8
Fixed auth issue for "chumby Lite" clients on older versions of Android
Added "Save Chumby" video on home page
Many other smaller issues related to bandwidth reduction

Many thanks for doing this. In fact, this inspired me to revive a couple of old Chumby One's that I had lying around. When the kids played with them, they tended to hold them a lot and break the power socket on the board. I had purchased a couple of replacement SMD sockets from digikey, and a little bit of soldering later, they were up and running. I also followed the instructions elsewhere to flash the current firmware, and we are now a four working Chumby household again.

Philip

Wonderful....  More bandwidth expenses for Duane.  roll

I'm kidding, I actually dug out my two CCs from the closet of unused tech after the switchover to the stub service, too.