Topic: Open source CP

Since the CP is of little value as intelectuial property now, do you think it would be possible to make it available to users to modify and maintain? Sorry if I missed some other reason preventing the CP's source from being made available, but I think it might be a possible way to keep the chumby alive. Even better make available images of the server stuff (minus the widgets for legal reasons) and let others set up their own chumby servers.

2 (edited by steelpaw 2013-02-22 00:17:27)

Re: Open source CP

The thread Chumby on a Stick - Redux (http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8558) has a detailed discussion of this very issue, including Duane's plans for release of the Control Panel.

Duane has already written in this post, that:

This should be more than enough to allow people to legally make and distribute "offline mode" USB dongles until a full Open Source version of the Control Panel is available.

The best we can do is offer Duane whatever support he needs.

While a legal binary distribution of the compiled control panel is nice it pales in comparison to a source code release.  The above excerpt seams to indicate that we might one day have that. Here's hopeing and thanks Duane for not deserting the chumby users. I had seen the offline firmware, but I hadn't thought of it as an alternative to the chumby service on a mass scale, though I suppose it does use the same protical as the official site. Don't know how milti-user capable it is though. I may try to create a server based on it, but don't anyone get their hopes up; I'm not a coding master and am pretty busy at the moment.

As I believe was mentioned in the other thread, the main thing holding back the open-sourcing of the CP is the fact that there are proprietary/licensed bits (API keys, libraries, and so on) currently integrated into the CP; I do think Duane expressed intent to remove these parts so the remainder can be released to the community.