Re: "Stub" server scheduled to go live on Wednesday, February 20 2013

Is the Star Trek Clock the sign for positive reboot and correct server or is an editing of the host file still needed (see above)?

@Saryon - no, this type of screen does not burn in.

@SvenC - Yes, the clock indicates that you are now using the new server. You do not need the edit the hosts file - that was only necessary before I switched over the domain.

Chumby is up and running after reboot - and Pandora is working again! Thanks all you do, Duane!

29 (edited by servalan 2013-02-20 13:43:47)

Looks like mission successful. DNS change has landed here...

FWIW my unshackled hack (chumby classic) is still working fine - no changes notes on reboot, so my modified host file which redirects *.chumby.com to 127.0.0.1 must have knobbled all the dependencies. wink

30 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2013-02-20 14:24:45)

Chumby one updated and is working perfectly.

My Infocast 8 running Chumby 8 firmware is another story. It still shows 5 channels with multiple widgets in each channel. The names for the widgets are still the same as they used to be, but the icon for nearly all of them is the LCARS clock. A few exceptions are "Chumby guts" (old icon and it still works), Big clock (old icon and still works), internet archive (old icon, starts to load then stalls).  Every other widget I have tested just white screens. I have not tested them all. I did not get the LCARS clock. The music options DO work (Pandora, Blue Octy radio). Will try a re-boot to see if anything changes. I wil also send all info to Duane to see if this helps him squash bugs. The hacked nature of this Chumby may well be causing the problems. I am not too concerned for myself as I don't use the Infocast8/Chumby8 much and when I do it is only for the Music/internet radio function which works fine. I hope the info can help others.

[UPDATE]
Rebooted Infocast8 and the original icons came back. Aquarium, Chumby guts, yahoo weather, CBS news and Google News all still work. The LCARS icons are gone. Most other widgets do not work (hang). My Chumby One is running on the stub server and both are feeding from the same router. Very odd. Not that I am complaining. It is nice to have the extra features.

[UPDATE 2]
My Infocast8 just spontaneously came out of sleep mode. I checked it and all but one channel is now gone. The only widget is the LCARS clock. Running just like it is supposed to now.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

What time was the switchover? I went home for lunch and didn't see any change except that the weather would not localize as it has before. All the clocks and apps seemed to be visible. I rebooted the I3 and saw no change.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Duane wrote:

@Saryon - no, this type of screen does not burn in.

Thank you sir, for taking time out of your busy schedule to reply!

33 (edited by servalan 2013-02-20 13:54:01)

demarks51 wrote:

What time was the switchover?

It'll vary - DNS changes take a while to propagate & your router/modem/ may well cache DNS lookups. You can see from Duane's posts the gradual way the DNS change has increasing numbers of chumbies hitting the stub server.

I switched the domains out between 9:30am and 10:00am PST - the TTL on the subdomains vary but most are 4 hours.

The devices also do some very aggressive caching, so I don't expect all devices to be totally switched over for as long as three days.

It is suggested to just keep rebooting or just wait and see? I guess eventually chumby will find  his way "home".

demarks51 wrote:

It is suggested to just keep rebooting or just wait and see? I guess eventually chumby will find  his way "home".

You'd probably be better off rebooting whatever device connects you to the net - router/modem etc.

My Chumby One that had been on the standard server updated to the LCARS clock without incident.

@demarks51 - Please email me the ID and type of the device, and if you've hacked it at all.

Okay. I will reboot modem/router and down the line and then start all my chums after that. If I still have problems, I will contact you with the info you mentioned. It makes sense to me.

I3.5 at work I removed the /psp/hosts change this morning and rebooted.  It's still going through my list of widgets on the old server.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Duane wrote:

The devices also do some very aggressive caching, so I don't expect all devices to be totally switched over for as long as three days.

Of my three Chumbys, one Classic has switched over, whilst the other Classic and the C1 haven't.

Mine is up and running.  What are our current music options?  I noticed (at least for me) Pandora and iheartradio don't work.

@kgeissler - Pandora and IHR should be working, but probably require a reboot - anyone else having problems?

44 (edited by ZeroDoom 2013-02-20 15:00:40)

Hey, I asked this on twitter to @chumby but this might be better place to post it.  I have a chumby one.

@chumby Thanks for keeping things going but is there anyway you can select a different widget? The stub widget is unreadable from bed. sad

@chumby Maybe add the default "offline" widget to the channel. Then we could pin the one we want.

Thanks!

Thanks Duane, My Soft Chumby did it all on it's own and I had to reboot my C1s and C8s to get them to take. Also, I did see the same behavior on my C8s as BoloMKXXVIII saw.
Thanks for the dedication and hard work.
Long live Blue Octy!

Duane wrote:

@kgeissler - Pandora and IHR should be working, but probably require a reboot - anyone else having problems?

Both work for me.

A reboot brought back Pandora and iheartradio.  One thing I did notice is that you can't hit the "x" to close it.  On my C8, if I hit the button on the top of it, it will exit, but not hitting the "x".  The "x" does work on all the other stations though.

Duane wrote:

At 3:20pm PST, we're at 24,188 devices.  We peaked at 4.71 Mbits/s, but now dropping as devices are caching the new data, even as new ones are joining.

49 (edited by SvenC 2013-02-20 15:32:31)

Duane wrote:

@SvenC - Yes, the clock indicates that you are now using the new server. You do not need the edit the hosts file - that was only necessary before I switched over the domain.

Ah okay, nice to hear. Thanks Duane. smile

btw. both chumby one and chumby 8 are up and running.

Doing great here....I have 2 Chumby's (Classic and a Chumby one) that have been out of sleep mode for about 1 hour and The Classic has already moved to the new address and working great (had to reboot to get Pandora to work)....still waiting on The Chumby One to move over to the new servers.

Thanks for all your work....you've made this about as flawless as can be !