Topic: Zone transfer of chumby.com soon

Sometime over the next couple of days, we will be doing a zone transfer of the chumby.com domain.

There should not be any disruption of service - if all goes well.

Re: Zone transfer of chumby.com soon

This has been completed.

Can someone enlighten me? "zone transfer"? Time zone?

The chumby.com domain's "start of authority" was moved from one set of servers to another set of servers.

When you type "www.chumby.com" into a web browser, your computer uses a "domain name server" to convert that name to a numerical address on the Internet.  Typically, that is done by a server operated by your ISP.  Your ISP, in turn, gets that information (ultimately) from a server called the "start of authority" for the domain.  That's the server that, in this case, I control to point the various names to the servers that perform the functions needed to run the service.

The "start of authority" for chumby.com was on a set of servers that is scheduled to go away at the end of the month, which would mean that no "chumby.com" domain would work properly.  I moved it to another service that will survive.

Understood. Thank you for the explanation _and_ the education. I do appreciate it.

Is it safe to assume the server switch would work for Insignia 3.5 devices as well? Are Insignia devices reliant upon any BB servers?

7 (edited by demarks51 2013-02-20 09:13:52)

As I understand it, all chumby devices and BB (infocasts) will work after the transition. Sony Dash is a separate server altogether administered by Sony. BB Infocasts rely on the chumby servers.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Great, thanks.