Re: Beta test of "stub" server

Based on reading other posts in this forum, I'm guessing only a limited number (perhaps zero) of apps will be available on the new server, correct?

Initially, there will only be one app, a clock/calendar.  All of the music sources should be completely functional.

The complete database for the current system will be backed up, with the intent to restore the systems in some form in the future.

The issue is that replacing the current system with an equivalent cannot be done in the required timeframe without also incurring all of the associated costs, which is prohibitive since it comes out of my pocket at the moment.

You can see the current cost structure here.

Duane wrote:

Initially, there will only be one app, a clock/calendar.  All of the music sources should be completely functional.

is it possible to let youstreams be functional? (it is the most used widget for me because of the option to hear audiocasts, also called podcasts)

spunk_ wrote:
Duane wrote:

is it possible to let youstreams be functional? (it is the most used widget for me because of the option to hear audiocasts, also called podcasts)

The primary goal is to keep the Chumby system going. This must be accomplished before the end of the month. Apps/widgets will be added later as resources allow (among other constraints).

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

stan23 wrote:

Are there any changes in the control panel compared to the original version?
In the original panel mp3 playback from my streams stalled several times per hour, and almost never played the full 2 hours for an alarm.
With the beta panel there was not one single interruption.

Is it possible that you hadn't had a valid network connection as long as you did use zurks offline version, and now you have one for using the beta test?

I am also experiencing sound failures since I use my offline hack. (Zurks offline image is based on my scripts, so it probably inherited this problem.) The problem rate differs depending whether I have network connection or not. With connection it happens every few days, without it can happen within an hour.

Christian wrote:

I am also experiencing sound failures since I use my offline hack.

FWIW, I don't have this problem with the off-line hack I use which is based on your solution. wink I have a decent wifi signal though & reliable net connection. I upgraded my unshackled chumby to the latest control panel yesterday - haven't noticed any change so far.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

The primary goal is to keep the Chumby system going. This must be accomplished before the end of the month. Apps/widgets will be added later as resources allow (among other constraints).

No Problem .... but the only Option for me to listen to audiocast (sometimes called podcast for apple-products)
Is youstreams. If there will be another Option that is very good. I do Not need widgets if The System can do this for itself

spunk_ wrote:

No Problem .... but the only Option for me to listen to audiocast (sometimes called podcast for apple-products) Is youstreams. If there will be another Option that is very good. I do Not need widgets if The System can do this for itself

I keep bringing this up, but it is possible to re-work the CBS or NYT podcasts to play whatever you want. This is why I'm hoping Duane will include a modified version of one of those two in the next control panel once the current crisis is over.

I made it happen with Zurk's firmware. See:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8233

dannysland wrote:

......... podcasts to play .....................

I made it happen with Zurk's firmware. See:

with zurk-offline-Version it is possible to play every audiocast with youstreams (if youstream is working). this option is just missing in the firmware itself.

i just do not want to change to zurk as long es everything is working as it is.
but if the day will come when youstream will not work anymore there is no other way for me.

searchtube would also be very great but this widget has finshed working some years ago...before that it was a very fine thing to see youtube-videos

Using new server on Infocast 3.5" and everything seems fine.  The only widget I ran happened to be the LCARS clock being served up smile  IHeartRadio also working fine, although I lost my favorites list (no big deal).  Thanks for keeping things going!

I just switched to the new server about 5 minutes ago. "Max" (my Chumby) came up like it was supposed to. Yay!

Just discovered the beta server, works great for me, does 99% of what I now use my chumby for, Pandora/USB music. Thanks!!

I think a HTML5 system would be great, this was my plan if my chumby went dark. Keep the flash control panel at first, no need to make extra work. P2P is hard to get right, just setup a load balancing cache for systems with real ipv4 or ipv6 (mine) addresses and a opt in option.

I seem to be having difficulty with my 8" Insignia infocast. I added the line in the first post of this thread and rebooted. It downloaded the control panel successfully. It can play music. It goes into night mode. All settings seem to work. Yet, whenever it tries to change to the space clock, the screen is black. I have to press the top button to bring the control panel back. Any ideas?

@observing - I'll take a look and see what's up.

Can you send me the ID of the device so I can find it in the logs?

Aslo, can you tell me what you see if open the Apps->Channels tab on the left - it should have "Default" listed just below "Channels".  If so, then selecting "Default" should show the clock thumbnail - select it and hit the play button in the lower right.

If these steps fail, please tell me where.

EDIT:  Is your device an Infocast 8 that was hacked to try and appear as a Chumby 8?  I see an anomalous device in the log that is claiming to be both, and ending up getting Chumby One Control Panel as a result, which would get a black screen when attempting to play widgets on this device.

EDIT: I have confirmed that this is your device - I've made a server change to handle this case - please reboot and try again.

Thank you, Duane. Your change seems to have worked. I had forgotten that I did the Chumby 8 hack that appeared elsewhere in the forum.

And....this is why we do testing wink

Thanks for catching this.

As we move to production, I want to thank those of you that have pointed your devices at this test server - it was very helpful for me to see "real world" devices hitting the systems and letting me catch things that I might have otherwise missed.

I don't personally own a full set of all of the variations of devices that are out there, and it appears that pretty much everything that *could* hit this server, did.

I even got a very interesting hit from Germany - a probe with a Ironforge/Falconwing Control Panel not running on an actual chumby device.

"a probe with a Ironforge/Falconwing Control Panel"

Can someone enlighten me?

Duane - Sounds like you no longer need folks to point to test?

Ironforge = chumby Classic
Falconwing = chumby One

Someone attempted to use the test server with the Control Panel software from one of these devices, but not using an actual device.

FYI, all of my audio seems to be good (yay)!!  so I can at least use my Chumby again for "cooking/dinner" music.  Keep up the great work!

So I just bought a Chumby online, and I have access to the default clock, music, chumbrowser, and the alarm. Has my Chumby already been configured to this server? How can I find out?

linkmandrew wrote:

So I just bought a Chumby online, and I have access to the default clock, music, chumbrowser, and the alarm. Has my Chumby already been configured to this server? How can I find out?

Yes, the stub server is now live for everyone.  If you're seeing the Star Trek clock and can play the various music channels, you're up and running smile

Uhhh... I have no Star Trek Clock. I have everything else though. Mind posting a link to a tutorial on how to properly SSH into my Chumby? I kinda pieced together what to do, but once I open the "hosts" file, I have no idea how to actually add the proper lines to reconfigure. And if it matters, I'm using Putty.

You shouldn't have to edit the hosts file at this point... what might be happening is what recently happened to my C1 -- it just lost its channels.

First, go into the menu (hit the snooze bar) and tap "Channel"; you should see "Current channel of 1 channels: Chumby" -- if it says "default" instead of "Chumby", tap "Reload".  Upon reloading, it should show the "Chumby" channel at which point you can tap "Done" and you should have the Star Trek clock.

If it still doesn't work, Duane might be able to point you in the right direction, or look up stuff on the server to see if anything's wonky on his end.

I see the "Channels" section, but I don't see "Current channel of 1 channels" It says "Default", but there also isn't a "Reload" button. I'm on a C8, if that matters.