Topic: Weather Widget customization

Hello,

I tried to do a search before posting this, but found nothing.

I added the various weather widgets to my virtual Chumby.   When I hit "customize" in the Edit Channels options, the only thing I can do is adjust the amount of time the widget is displayed.  Although I love San Diego and find its weather incredible, I really would like to display the weather at my location.

Other than moving to San Diego, how can get the widget to display weather where I live?  Or is this not active yet since the Chumby has not yet been officially released?

Thanks!
Mike

Re: Weather Widget customization

Can you please include details of your operating system and browser?  All of these widgets should be allowing you to customize the location, typically with zipcode.  And, of course, Flash will need to be running on your computer since those the configuration is done with Flash.

Hello,

Thank-you for the response.

I use Windows XP with Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11.  I also have Flash 9,0,47,0 installed.

I have attempted to delete the weather widget, re-add it, create a new channel, and add the weather widget there too.  When I select, "customize", I still am only able to change the amount of time the widget will be displayed.  There is no option to change the zip code. 

What other information can I provide in order to help you to help me? 

Thanks,
Mike

Does the "Horoscope" widget present a customization view to pick a sign?

I want to see if all such widgets are affected.

I added the Horoscope widget to my channel, and when I click "customize", I only see the drop-down box for changing the display time.  I see a large white space below for what looks like an area that should have an area to input or change options, but nothing is there.

Thank-you for your help so far!

Kind Regards,
Mike

OK thanks - I'll file a bug with your information and the developers will take a look at it.

On last question - when you choose a widget from the widget selection list, does the widget play in the display to the right, the one above the "Add to Channel" button?

Sorry about the problem, and thanks for helping us diagnose this.

Hello,

When I choose a widget from the widget selection list, then the widget does play in the display to the right.  Some will show it operating, while others will state to go to chumby.com for customization.

Down below, in my selected channels, I have no problem moving and re-arranging what I have already added.  The only problem has been with customization.

Thank-you again for your help.  Not only will it help me, but I am sure at least a few others have or will have this problem, as well.

Kind Regards,
Mike

I currently have the same version of IE 7 and have been unable to recreate the problem. The fact that the Flash movies preview on the side tells me that flash is working properly in some instances.

My question to you Mike is do you have any toolbars running? Google, Yahoo, Alexia, etc? They might be blocking certain content from being displayed.

Regards,

JT

Hey!  That did it! 

Norton Internet Security has a tool bar.  All I had to do was uncheck, "Block popups on this site", and it worked!   You guys are truly a bunch of geniuses!

Thanks!
Mike

Thanks for your help diagnosing this - I'll see if we can add some info the to FAQ to cover the situation.

Hey there--very new user (just ordered my Chumby; playing with the virtual). 

Another devnote for you guys--I am running the same setup as LogJam.  I couldn't customize the "allow popup" thing in my old version of Norton Firewall, so I just disabled it and was able to change my widgets as described. 

BUT--interesting note; did NOT need to disable my firewall to do the same thing in the latest version of Firefox for XPSP2. 

I have found this same odd issue when using everything from secure banking sites that use popups, to ordering airline tix online--any kind of dynamic site that spawns forms within a screen seems to present this behavior.  They are all OK in firefox, but I need to de-Nortonize in order to get them to work in IE. 

Keep up the good work, folks! 

cool