Re: End of Chumby as we know it...

Hello
I'm not a programmer, only a chumby user. So if i can help with spending money please let me know. Chumby is a great radio! I use it every day, I love my four chumbies. Are here some users who speak german? I hope chumby will be saved!

Duane, I congratulate you on being so calm dealing with ms.harp42. Not sure why he/she feels the need to take things out on you. You are doing all you can do...all without pay. Rest assured the rest of us don't feel the same way as msharp42. We will all help in whatever way we can.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I certainly want to emphasize how grateful I am to Duane for his work on keeping my four Chumbys alive.

As much as I might wish that Chumby Inc had found a stable and profitable business model that assured the survival of its service, as well as the introduction of new models on a regular basis, I also know that like with many, many other companies, it just did not happen. So it is time to move on, pick up the remaining pieces, and see if there is a way to assure the survival of this platform on a long-term basis for selfish users like me who have grown dependent on this product, either under a new company and/or an active volunteer community.

If there is some way that people like me whose technical skills are limited, please let us know.

I am willing to bet the "Chumby faithful" here would be happy to donate some $ to see their name scroll past on a weekly/monthly widget.

"Chumby Lives!   Brought to you this month by Duane and  x  and y and z!   To donate, go here http....blahblahblah"

hell, i pay an annual fee for forums that are not near as much fun as keeping these little beasties alive!

regards,

elgeek

Duane, I know its probably too late for this, but as long as you are working on code on the 8" units -- can you make it possible for them to have an alarm with whatever sound you want (like how the 3.5" ones will let you play a song from the music folder)

Any material changes to the Control Panels will have to wait until we deal with the current crisis.

totally understood, just thought I'd ask...

Do let us know if there's any way we can help (even if it's just Beta testing).

109 (edited by sdan451 2013-01-27 04:17:15)

While I understand that your going to try and include a clock widget so at the very least the clock will function.  My bigger issue is will I still be able to play music via the USB thumb drive that I'm currently using?  Thanks very much Duane for all your effort!

Stephen

Yes, you'll be able to play music from USB as before.  The only thing that will be limited will be the widgets.

I dont know what good it will do at this point but I made this video i hopes of saving the Chumby network Please share! https://vimeo.com/58569110

Hey Ryan/barnapkins, very cool video!

Thanks @songmaster!

Thank you barnapkins! I saw the video on youtube.

Thanks for watching @swisscheese! Great username BTW smile

Do you mind if I post this to Chumby's Facebook feed?

My apologies if this has been addressed before, but I'm wondering if there will be a way to support Shoutcast streams in the future, whether via a new service or via offline firmware, as I've come to rely on my Chumbies a lot to listen to internet radio, especially old time radio streams via Shoutcast.  I've started looking around at other internet radios just in case, but they still seem to be a bit pricey for devices that can do only some of what a Chumby can do, plus, from what I can see, most of them require you to simply navigate through a system of menus to find stations and don't have, from what I can tell, anything like the search function in Chumby's Shoutcast interface.

I'm downloading Zurk's offline firmware right now to try that out as a backup, should that become necessary, since I love my Chumbies & I'd definitely want them to have at least some functionality, even if it's not all the functionality they once had.  (I especially love the classic "beanbag" model -- I love people who dare to be different & innovative like that!)  I may even try that Octopus thing & see if I can figure out how to use that to use more widgets (yeah, I remember what they were called before the iPad dominated everything!)

The new "stub" server that I've created fully supports SHOUTcast.  You can try it our yourself (information in another thread).

@duane please do! that would be awesome!

barnapkins wrote:

@duane please do! that would be awesome!

Done.  Let's see what happens.

barnapkins - Excellent video. Thank you for making it.

I send duane a mail about hosting forum and wiki. Not seen anything to it.

dasmurphy wrote:

The forum and wiki are already handled.  Doktor Jones is in the process of migrating it, so it would not be affected by anything that happens to the Amazon account.

Duane wrote:
dasmurphy wrote:

The forum and wiki are already handled.  Doktor Jones is in the process of migrating it, so it would not be affected by anything that happens to the Amazon account.

Ok, didn't know that. That very cool. If i can help with my servers any way to store or backup something, please let me know.

Count me in the group of users who were unaware until I saw the facebook posting.  I love my Chumby, and would be happy to click a "donate now" button whenever it appears.

If Kickstarter is too much trouble, it sounds like Indigogo is a good alternative, if it comes to that.

Thank you so much to Duane for keeping us all going.