Topic: power supply tip needed

I just can't seem to find the dc power tip for power supply for an I3. I know it is suppose to be 3.2mm x 0.9mm. I have a plugin with a universal end (two small holes in the end) with correct power but need the tip to complete the process. I just can't seem to find what I need on ebay or anywhere. I have a lonely i3 sitting in "time out" until I can get him some power. Anyone have a spare tip to send me? I can't afford to fly to china to purchase one of those "bunny" finds of chumby branded power supplies. I wish the one selling would just open an ebay store. Don't feel too sorry for me. This is infocast #4 for me (2-8's and 2-3's). I suppose I will survive. I am looking forward to the new chumby possiblities. You just can't kill this little guy.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Re: power supply tip needed

One source is Digikey. They sell this connector as part number CA-2221 for about $3. A similar connector with slightly larger dimensions is sold by MCM Electronics as their part number 27-1115 for under $1. MCM's connector is 3.8 mm OD X 1.0 mm ID, so I don't know if it will work. Of course, both companies will charge for shipping, which will raise the price considerably. But it is still cheaper than going to China!

You might also want to look at http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8180 for another discussion about power sources.

This part number seems to be the correct tip size. There is three wires on the other end. Which wire goes to which considering I only have two wires coming out of the electrical plug part?

Looking at the picture, it looks like this has a "ring" connector -- your best bet would be to connect it to ground.  My only concern would be that the spring pin in the I3 might rest on the insulating band between the "ring" and the "sleeve", resulting in a spotty connection.

Check out Digikey # CP-017-ND for a 3.2mm x 0.9mm solder-on connector -- this should be a perfect fit for the C1/I3 smile

Edit: also, check out my post here if that might work for you too.

Yes, CP-017-ND seems like a better solution than mine. Sorry I missed that. If you do want to try the other wired version (CA-2221), you would want to wire together the ring and sleeve, which I would guess are the green and black wires, although without having one here to test, that is a guess.

So two of the wires to to one and one wire to the other?

Right.  Since the ring connector (third wire) is on the outside, you'd want it tied to ground.  ehertz is probably correct in guessing the green wire goes to the ring connector, but I'd strongly advise double-checking all three wires with a multimeter first.  Whichever two are the ring and sleeve (outside barrel) connectors will be tied together to (-), and the tip (inside) will be connected to (+).

8 (edited by demarks51 2013-01-25 14:43:00)

Have to report that the DigiKey suggestion was a winner! I was anxious enough to go ahead and buy the CA-2221 before the the other suggestion of the CP-017-ND. I tried to get it added to my order but they had already shipping my wire. Whew! That was fast. I got it today and the CA-2221 works like a charm. I am staring at a recovered I-3 with a smile on my face. I would recommend DigiKey with my experience with this item. Good customer service, large inventory, quick shipping and they charge actual shipping costs. Got it in just 2-3 days. You were spot on with tying the blue and green together and ring connector was NOT an issue. Very good! Appreciate the group effort.

Really glad to hear that this worked. Thanks so much for the feedback.

10 (edited by peterwaggo 2014-02-21 17:32:59)

ehertz wrote:

One source is Digikey. They sell this connector as part number CA-2221 for about $3. A similar connector with slightly larger dimensions is sold by MCM Electronics as their part number 27-1115 for under $1. MCM's connector is 3.8 mm OD X 1.0 mm ID, so I don't know if it will work. Of course, both companies will charge for shipping, which will raise the price considerably. But it is still cheaper than going to China!

Thanks ehertz, I'll check it out as I'm looking to get one of these.

ehertz wrote:

You might also want to look at http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8180 for another discussion about power sources.

This worked like a charm. It definitely is cheaper than going to China!

Always good to hear people post their success stories; it provides confirmation for future users of whether a suggestion will work smile

Thanks JesseP. I'm very glad to hear it worked. As the good Dockor says, it is great to get feedback about both things that work, as well as things that don't.