Topic: weird screen on boot

yesterday, after I plugged in my USB and pressed the off button, when I pressed the on button, I got a screen that was different from the normal boot screen .  it said something like 'special offer' or 'special update'(i'm not sure exactly). it soon went to screen with options on it (install update, restart to normal operation, and restore to factory defaults.) I clicked the install updates button, thinking that there was an update for the chumby.  I got the options to install from USB or to install from the network, but hey were both grayed out.

I restarted the chumby again, but I didn't get the screen.  Was that supposed to happen, or did I push something Wrong?

Re: weird screen on boot

actually happened to me this afternoon, was there something up?

If you interrupt the boot process (either by shutting it off during boot or touching the screen during the boot) the chumby will go into a "special options" mode (aka "Safe mode") which allows you to perform certain operations such as recover a corrupt partition, reset some of the settings, or install an update.

Most of the time, you'll get an explicit notification of a update, so the device probably went into this mode accidentally for one of the reasons listed above.  In that case, you should just do the "restart to normal operation".

If you see the "special options" screen, and don't want it to continue in that mode, you can often just touch the screen during boot to return to normal operation automatically.

This probably should be in WIKI for an emergency recovery.