Re: Official Chumby Launch Date

If not a set date can we at least get a sometime in x month for when the first batch will be ready to be sold?

Dood, get in line!   Actually, I wonder how long the line is?  Am also wondering what sales channels other than the website they are going to use.  I just checked Amazon, but no Chumby....

The acceptance letter to the "First 50" is going out this weekend.

These are people chosen to be be beta testers, from folks that signed up on the front page of the website.

How that program goes will affect the official launch date.

Going via email, or snail mail?

Fingers are still crossed, though I'm not getting my hopes too high...

shoe

They're going out as email.

We got a pretty big response - on the order of thousands. I suspect that those folks that weren't picked will get an opportunity in the next round.

Right on...

Kudos to ALL the folks at Chumby Central. This looks to be a killer product and with a boatload of fun-loving geekdom behind it!

:: Mark

Can you let us know when the letters go out to see if we got in or not instead of waiting for a long time for a message to come?

All "First 50"-ers should have heard via email by now.  Sorry to any of you who applied and didn't get selected.  Don't feel bad if you didn't -- you'll be able to get your own chumby in hopefully about a month or so, though depends a lot on how the First 50 program goes.  We'll make sure that those of you who participate actively in the Forum hear about broader availability first and have the earliest chance to get one! :^)  We really want the Chumby Experience to be a great one -- we've all been working too hard, and waiting too long (!), to risk not delighting people.  We also want to make sure that non-super-technical people can easily figure out how to make their chumbys work -- certainly don't want to scale up customer service problems.  In order to try to understand this mainstream market well, we selected our "First 50'ers" to be as representative as possible of this broad group of people.  But don't worry, we still love our hackers and geeks ;^)

Oh well, "the thrill is gone..."  Congrats to all of you first 50.  Don't mind saying that I'm a bit jealous.

Please post photos and feedback on the forum as you go along on your mission.

Hi Steve

I'm assuming "have your own chumby in a month or so" applies only to US Residents. Is there any target date for shipping production chumbys to other countries?

Apologies if I have got this wrong...I've been reading bits and pieces about the chumby launch from all over and the later date for other countries could well be a figment of my imagination

Thanks!
Angela
*one year on and still delighted with her alpha chumby*

Must...have...chumby....

Hoping that the first 50 goes smoothly, so I can have a nice hot steaming bowl of chumbalaya as soon as possible.

Congratulations to the first 50. The green eyed monster rears its ugly head though!

shoe

Reading this thread from the start the good old days had the second Quarter; late second quarter; then summer (which we are rapidly running out of) and soon the third quarter will be gone; followed by 'under your tree for the holidays).

It is curious there has been no updates since the "First 50 Update" other than the "Almost Here". Is there some sort of snafu we do not know of? But I do love the constant begging and pleading going on in most of the message boards, entertaining at times; at othersa bit on the pathetic side. You get it out of the box; squeeze it a bit, then it is onto the next tech thing to worship.

I understand your points and I think it is probably time for a blogpost on the release date and availability in countries outside the U.S. Also, if we are able to purchase parts. I'm guessing the Chumbians don't know themselves or they'd tell us...be nice if they shared the reasons though, if they can, business being business and all...

However, some of us here see Chumby as being qualitatively different to just any other tech device. I'm not moving on even after 12+ months of waiting because the chumby is the one device that allows/encourages user creativity in terms of both content, hardware, craft and software. I am still curious to see what this device might become.

Discussed here: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=544

Angela wrote:

I understand your points and I think it is probably time for a blogpost on the release date and availability in countries outside the U.S. Also, if we are able to purchase parts. I'm guessing the Chumbians don't know themselves or they'd tell us...be nice if they shared the reasons though, if they can, business being business and all...

However, some of us here see Chumby as being qualitatively different to just any other tech device. I'm not moving on even after 12+ months of waiting because the chumby is the one device that allows/encourages user creativity in terms of both content, hardware, craft and software. I am still curious to see what this device might become.

That's the ticket. A little communication goes towards making bad will. Most people will wait until even after the new year, as long as they know when the time comes their wait is at and end.

Don't cause people to be unhappy, life is too short.

Best of luck in Chumby Land.

Mitchell

Angela wrote:

I hope an update is forthcoming for us,  the non-First 50'ers to give us some hope; or at least idea on how to budget ourselves?The last cumby blog the last post was mid-August. That is all I am saying.

Hey! Sorry I have been gone, I have been busy with school work! You get a LOT more homework in 7th grade then you do in 6th! I have to say, I almost bought the new nano yesterday. I am going to try something different though, the chumby. I think that chumby is taking this long because they are making in rechargeble. I am going to have to wait and see, if the chumby is rechargable I will buy it in a heart beat, if it's not, I might go with the nano. But, I am keeping my hopes up for the chumby.

mmm....chumby...

I am quite excited to get my hands on one of these little guys.

Any update on the launch date for the general public? 

I hope this happens soon, both to see the user community grow and to keep the buzz on this product 'fresh' (most of the news, blog spots, etc. on the device go back 6-12 months).

Chumby birthdate: 10/11/07

How 'bout info on where you are on the list?  I believe I signed up in August.  How soon might I expect my email?  Did I miss it?

chandler wrote:

I think that chumby is taking this long because they are making in rechargeble. I am going to have to wait and see, if the chumby is rechargable I will buy it in a heart beat, if it's not, I might go with the nano. But, I am keeping my hopes up for the chumby.

I think you're setting yourself up for a fall if you think it will be rechargeable.  No one has been promising that.

There are a lot of issues to deal with on a new product roll-out.  If someone forced me to guess, closing contracts with content providers would be mine.

For example, Apple likely had the iTouch chomping at the bit to get released, but it had to wait until the iPhone got its glory, which all hinged on AT&T (the inventors of beuracracy) getting their act together.

we've got an enormous backlog of emails we're going through now from the people who asked us to email them when they can get a chumby. We've got emails going all the way back to over a year ago :-O So if you signed up in August, you're still in the queue, and we will get to you soon!

Also, we've had some troubles with spam filters and so forth catching our invitations to buy a chumby. You might want to check your junk email boxes for any messages from chumby.com!

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9