Re: Zurk's Chumby 8 Offline Firmware ( Insignia Infocast / chumby8 only! )

Zurk,

Will this firmware work with a Sony Dash? Thanks!

No - the Sony dash is an entirely different beast - it's not actually running the "chumby operating system" per se - it has an completely different code base, running on a different processor - and it's locked down tight.

Thanks for the reply, Duane.

Bummer it's locked down though not surprising since it's Sony we're talking about... A buddy of mine got one for free recently and I was hoping there might be a way to keep it going if Sony decides to pull the plug on their servers.

Sounds like maybe not?

Unfortunately, I don't have information about Sony's plans regarding the dash service.

I emailed Sony:
My only question is to the future of support for the Sony Dash now that Chumby is out of business and will be closing its servers down shortly. Before I purchase a Dash I would like to know what the future of this device is. It does not look like Chumby will survive the summer.

Their response:
Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I understand your concern regard the use of Dash. Sony is working with Chumby Industries, Inc., so that the Chumby device's broad portfolio of over 1,000 first-party and third-party apps will be available for the dash Alarm Clock in future.

Thank you for understanding.
Then I emailed them again:
My question is: What are you doing to keep the Dash going other than working with a not functioning company to keep the apps going? I understand that your device content is on a separate server not associated directly with Chumby. SO I would like to know if you intend to keep the Sony Dash operating near to present level for an extended period of time? I know you may want to keep your intentions a secret because frankly you may not really know what you want to do yet. You would like to give the impression that the Dash will work indefinitely without a hitch. I just want to know BEFORE I purchase a unit if there is hope that it will work more than 6 months or so in the future. Why doesn't Sony purchase the remainder of the Chumby Inc and operate it themselves and you would make a lot of people very happy. Chumby then could be a brand of Sony. Then hire Duane Maxwell(formerly with Chumby) to be the transition manager and IT geek for the new enterprise.

Response:
Dennis,

I understand your concern regarding the Sony Dash. Please note that the Sony Dash will be operating near to present level for an extended period of time. Also, in order to allow you to continue utilizing the Sony dash for your own private apps, we will not be closing the private app platform until February 28, 2013.

Thank you for choosing Sony.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

(a) Sony operates the dash ecosystem entirely separate from Chumby.  Chumby no longer has any relationship with Sony regarding the dash.  The entire system was cloned back in December.  Whatever may or may not happen with Chumby should have absolutely no effect on the dash system. - likewise, anything that happens to the Sony dash ecosystem will have no effect on Chumby's systems.

(b) Despite the content of various blogs and rumors, to my knowledge, there is no plan to shut down the Chumby systems.

82 (edited by kgeissler 2012-07-03 18:15:06)

I finally got all my widgets working offline, but have one question.  I run the twitter widget and it loads fine, but I can't sign in.  I try and put my username/password in and it keeps saying it is not correct.  Any ideas how to sign in?

Also, when I try to start Pandora, I get an error saying, "I'm sorry, Pandora is currently unavailable"  Am I doing something wrong?

amigafin wrote:

Ok, I'll work on it this weekend and get a list of questions/issues together and post it. I am close to figuring it out, just a few bugs I picked up trying to learn the what to do, where to go, what to use, and what you mean simultaneously, and still eat, sleep and work! This is tough to learn from scratch in a short time.

Thanks!

Did anyone develop a users' guide for dummies like me?

Raddle wrote:
amigafin wrote:

Ok, I'll work on it this weekend and get a list of questions/issues together and post it. I am close to figuring it out, just a few bugs I picked up trying to learn the what to do, where to go, what to use, and what you mean simultaneously, and still eat, sleep and work! This is tough to learn from scratch in a short time.

Thanks!

Did anyone develop a users' guide for dummies like me?

That's what the forums here are for!  Go ahead and dive in -- get yourself a fresh SD card to play with (so you can keep the stock SD safely tucked away in case of emergency), see how far you can get, and if you get stuck, come back and ask questions!  I'm not particularly well-suited for answering questions on Zurk's firmware, but a couple of our forumgoers are veritable experts on it at this point smile

I did. Unfortunately, it is for an older version of Zurks firmware. I have been restoring a car and unable to update it as I've had no time.  But it is a good start, and located here:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/chumby/files/

Hi

I am having trouble on the wunderground id.

The ID you show in the example 71775.xml, works.

The page to display ID's displays alpha  id's, like Natick MA as RMANATIC3, Boston RMABOSTO31

I tried to set the string to:
http://rss.wunderground.com/auto/rss_fu … units=both

Gave an error.   How do I get the NUMERIC id for nnnnn.xml?

Thanks!

you get the numeric id by going to :
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin … tick%2C+ma
it should show up in recent cities at the top. select the link :
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin … 60.1.99999
then copy the numeric station id :
http://rss.wunderground.com/auto/rss_fu … units=both
and that is your numeric station ID and URL.
alternatively just do a google search for your station and most pop up.

88 (edited by philhu 2012-11-19 07:14:11)

Great.....That works!

I am seeing another problem.....With the offline usb, it is loading, and speaking it is starting up.  But I cannot connect to my wireless.  Keeps saying no response from wireless server.

It works fine with the online chumby software and my tivos and iPhone are connected to the wireless, so it is finctioning.

The wireless access point IS using WPA2 encryption and does have a 10 digit numeric password.

hi

Well, the problem I see is limited to the infocast8.

I have a real C8, and the offline starts up fine.  Using same network, wireless, passkey ettc.

The Infocast8 sits after you enter the passkey, for 30 seconds and says wireless is down or not responding.

Anyone else get the offline to work on an infocast8???

msharp42 wrote:

put the c8 firmware on your infocast 8. the offline fw was developed on the i8 so it will work

How does one do that?

philhu wrote:
msharp42 wrote:

put the c8 firmware on your infocast 8. the offline fw was developed on the i8 so it will work

How does one do that?

Go to this thread:  http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=36667#p36667
and start reading at post #14.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

92 (edited by philhu 2012-11-28 07:33:18)

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
philhu wrote:
msharp42 wrote:

How does one do that?

Go to this thread:  http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=36667#p36667
and start reading at post #14.

ooops, I did that, long ago,  I posted #159 there....

So my question still persists.  Running i8 with c8 firmware, and connecting to a WPA2 wireless, I get wireless not responding.  All other devices work fine  (Iphones, ipad, receiver, etc).

Well, I have determined it MIGHT be my Fios Router causing the problem.

It looks like it is defective as sometimes on some devices, always on others, it reasks for the
security key over and over, not accepting any until reboot.

Even after reboot, some devices just will not connect.

I've tried changing the keys on the router and numerous other kludges.

I have called Fios Tech Sup and they checked the router logs and say my router is 'acting funny' and they are sending me a new GigE wireless N router and to throw the old one in the trash!

So, when the new one arrives I'll install it and see what happens!

Is there a way to install this on the internal memory?

happyshow wrote:

Is there a way to install this on the internal memory?

No, I don't think so. These devices don't have much internal memory.

you can install on internal memory if you replace the internal microsd card with a larger one.

Hello msharp42, could you make the image available? I tried to make my own, I see the angstrom image, but the progress bar stops in the middle.

This question is unrelated to the ones preceding it.  I've put the parameters for my widget into a "lighty/html/xapis/profile/show3" file.  However, the widget doesn't seem to be picking them up when it runs under Zurkware.

Specifically, the "event.status" variable always gets set to 'false' and my widget fails.  Is there somewhere else that I should be putting the parameters?  Alternatively, how should I modify my code to suit this aspect of Zurkware?

I have a couple Infocast 8's that I am trying to use this offline firmware on and I am new to a lot of this so bare with me... I copied the firmware to a 2gig USB, plugged in to USB1, rebooted but it never boots to the new firmware just keeps going back to the old. What am I missing?

My Goals:
Get both running Zurk's
Add the wgets I used to use

ok I made some progress.... It is booting off the USB now because I heard it say welcome to Zurk's offline firmware. Only it said "clean installation is required no match aborted". What is a clean installation? or should I ask how do I do a clean installation?