Topic: Problems Registering Pandora

Hello having problems accessing Pandora from my Infocast when asked if I'm an existing user I indicated yes and I'm then taken to a keyboard and asked to enter my email address after entering the address I looked for an enter button I don't see one only a return key so after pressing the return everything disappears that I just entered so after pressing enter again the entries I put in are displayed briefly and then disappear and I am able to input the required information.

So after pressing enter again I get the following message "didn't find your email or user name" Even though I was never even asked for the user name so at this point I'm totally confused. Could someone please walk me through the process I was finally able to register the unit and had some had some other minor problems but right now this is my only real difficulty I'm experiencing. Thanks!!

Tom

Re: Problems Registering Pandora

Which Infocast is this - the 3.5" or the 8"?

Hi sorry new to this I just learned they have two my is the 8 inch version ns-dphch Thanks!

Tom

Hmm, I just tried this on my Infocast 8, and it worked fine.

I entered my full email on the first screen, then my password on the second screen, and it connected and started playing.

Not sure why you're having an issue.  It's remotely possible that it might have failed due to the Amazon AWS issues on Friday and Saturday.

5 (edited by curt312 2012-07-01 10:54:08)

curt312 wrote:

Hi sorry new to this I just learned they have two my is the 8 inch version ns-dphch Thanks!

Tom

Hi that's it I'm not getting a second screen bought this as a open box think it might be defective!? I was wondering why I was never asked for a password like my Sony Dash actually like the size of this one better. One other thing once you enter the information do you just press the return symbol I didn't see a enter symbol on the little keyboard. Well will try a few more times then maybe try to return it for another one. Thanks!!!!

Tom

6 (edited by curt312 2012-07-01 11:36:04)

Duane wrote:

Hmm, I just tried this on my Infocast 8, and it worked fine.

I entered my full email on the first screen, then my password on the second screen, and it connected and started playing.

Not sure why you're having an issue.  It's remotely possible that it might have failed due to the Amazon AWS issues on Friday and Saturday.

WOW Thanks again I tried one more time and I REALLY FEEL STUPID!!!!! when I placed my email address in the first screen and pressed return the next screen did request password! I didn't have my glasses on and thought it was asking for my email address again put the password in and all it well!!!!! Say maybe you could help me please with just a few things. for some reason and this only happen once when I went through the registration process it somehow latter said I wasn't registered and I tried to repeat the process took me at least 8 tried but it did finally work. If that ever happens again should you go in and delete the old registration information and then proceed? keep getting that the registration information was not sent or I didn't enter the information quickly enough, possibly you can help me figure out what I did wrong here.

Last thing this unit seems to have a button cell is this a backup to keep your information if it's unplugged?? seems like they might of been to cheap to use flash memory, but if so what information is retained. Cant think you enough for your help!!!!! with out it I might of sent it back for another one when this one was probably perfectly alright. Got one other question about something that happen probably just a software issue like I have had in the past with the Dash but just want to ask you to make sure.

Tom

There was a problem at the Amazon data center where we host the chumby service on Friday and Saturday, due to a storm that knocked out the power.  This same outage affected several other companies, including Netflix, Pinterest, Instagram and many others.

For some time on both days, some of our servers were not responding to requests from the devices until we could get back into the systems and clear out the problems resulting from the outage.

One of the outstanding bugs in the chumby software is that when it cannot reach the servers, it incorrectly interprets that as being unregistered.  My guess is you were doing this during the outage.

The device uses Flash memory (actually a MicroSD card) for its storage.  The battery is there to power a smaller secondary processor that keeps the time of day and responds to the power switch (which is actually just a button).  It also has the ability to automatically power up the device at a predetermined time.

8 (edited by curt312 2012-07-01 14:05:36)

Duane wrote:

There was a problem at the Amazon data center where we host the chumby service on Friday and Saturday, due to a storm that knocked out the power.  This same outage affected several other companies, including Netflix, Pinterest, Instagram and many others.

For some time on both days, some of our servers were not responding to requests from the devices until we could get back into the systems and clear out the problems resulting from the outage.

One of the outstanding bugs in the chumby software is that when it cannot reach the servers, it incorrectly interprets that as being unregistered.  My guess is you were doing this during the outage.

The device uses Flash memory (actually a MicroSD card) for its storage.  The battery is there to power a smaller secondary processor that keeps the time of day and responds to the power switch (which is actually just a button).  It also has the ability to automatically power up the device at a predetermined time.

Hi thanks so if you have a power outage which we've been having here locally lately you wont have to re register and set up your various apps again like Pandora? Also I like the Sony because you can push a button for the weather and the time it doesn't change unless you change it how can I display the weather for my area or is that considered another application and if so is there a way to have it displayed constantly? Thanks loving this product might pick up another!

Tom

The Sony dash device is the only one that supports a weather display as part of the "Control Panel".  In all of the Chumby and Insiginia branded devices, weather is done using a widget.  Sony has a special relationship with one of the weather data providers and so we built that in for them.

Some users are using alternative firmware created by one of our users, as a way to use a device without requiring access to the official Chumby service and website.  The primary purpose was in anticipation of some discontinuation of Chumby's services, however, some people simply prefer it and use it even though Chumby's services are operational.

From Duane's comments it seems that the Chumby servers may actually continue to function longer than most of us thought. Many of us have prepared for the worst due to a rumor that the Chumby servers were going to shut down this summer. Duane has been careful to not get involved in many of these dicussions (my not be allowed to discuss). In any case, I will continue to let my Chumbys run "normally" for now but have flash drives configured with Zurks offline firmware taped to the back of my Chumby one and Infocast 8 just in case.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

11 (edited by curt312 2012-07-19 18:13:33)

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

From Duane's comments it seems that the Chumby servers may actually continue to function longer than most of us thought. Many of us have prepared for the worst due to a rumor that the Chumby servers were going to shut down this summer. Duane has been careful to not get involved in many of these dicussions (my not be allowed to discuss). In any case, I will continue to let my Chumbys run "normally" for now but have flash drives configured with Zurks offline firmware taped to the back of my Chumby one and Infocast 8 just in case.

Wow I just bought this thing and really like it and you're telling me it going to be discontinued?? I actually don't understand why this thing wasn't more popular the Infocast and the Dash I would kind of be lost without them, I have one of each. If Jobs had brought this to market it would be on just about everyone's night stand. Did I understand you correctly that someone has written and application that will allow it to function even if/when the Chumby servers are discontinued. Thanks

Tom

. . . . snip . . . .

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

but have flash drives configured with Zurks offline firmware taped to the back of my Chumby one and Infocast 8 just in case.

Heh, heh. Kind of like the pistol taped behind the toilet tank in the Godfather!  tongue

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

curt312 wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Wow I just bought this thing and really like it and you're telling me it going to be discontinued?? I actually don't understand why this thing wasn't more popular the Infocast and the Dash I would kind of be lost without them, I have one of each. If Jobs had brought this to market it would be on just about ever night stand. Did I understand you correctly that someone has written and application that will allow it to function even if/when the Chumby servers are discontinued. Thanks

Tom

Please see these threads:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=7832

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=7831

14 (edited by curt312 2012-07-09 16:37:07)

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
curt312 wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Wow I just bought this thing and really like it and you're telling me it going to be discontinued?? I actually don't understand why this thing wasn't more popular the Infocast and the Dash I would kind of be lost without them, I have one of each. If Jobs had brought this to market it would be on just about ever night stand. Did I understand you correctly that someone has written and application that will allow it to function even if/when the Chumby servers are discontinued. Thanks

Tom

Hi BOLO and thanks!! I also hope this does not become necessary but if it does this is a nice option. Also can you use a SD card instead of the flash drive would just look a little better. And would you know if my Sony Dash uses the Chumby servers, Sony has also discontinued the dash and I'm uncertain how long they will continue to support it. Thanks again!!!!!

Tom

curt312 wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
curt312 wrote:

Tom

Hi and thanks!! I also hope this does not become necessary but if it does this is a nice option. Also can you use a SD card instead of the flash drive would just look a little better. And would you know if my Sony Dash uses the Chumby servers, Sony has also discontinued the dash and I'm uncertain how long they will continue to support it. Thanks again!!!!!

Tom

Hi Tom.  The Sony Dash is a fish of a different color when it comes to customizing and firmware.  Unfortunately Sony has locked down the firmware to where an equivalent of Zurk's offline firmware cannot be developed.  Similarly, the Dash gets its data from different servers.  This might not be a bad thing, as Sony may choose to continue operating the Dash servers even after Chumby's go dark -- however, that's entirely up to Sony.

Our Chumbys future is in the hands of the users, the Dash's future is entirely up to Sony. I know which camp I want to be in (and I am).

I will be steering clear of Cisco routers from now on too.

Doktor Jones wrote:
curt312 wrote:

Hi and thanks!! I also hope this does not become necessary but if it does this is a nice option. Also can you use a SD card instead of the flash drive would just look a little better. And would you know if my Sony Dash uses the Chumby servers, Sony has also discontinued the dash and I'm uncertain how long they will continue to support it. Thanks again!!!!!

Tom

Hi Tom.  The Sony Dash is a fish of a different color when it comes to customizing and firmware.  Unfortunately Sony has locked down the firmware to where an equivalent of Zurk's offline firmware cannot be developed.  Similarly, the Dash gets its data from different servers.  This might not be a bad thing, as Sony may choose to continue operating the Dash servers even after Chumby's go dark -- however, that's entirely up to Sony.

Hi again really can't thank you guys enough for all the help. I just posted a note on the Dash forum to see if Sony intends to continue to support the Dash for the foreseeable future. I mean they are still being sold all over the net and I bet most  people that are buying it don't even know it's been discontinued. I was thinking about possibly buying another one but I'm now considering the Infocast instead because it can run independently of the Chumby servers. Just really love these things can't understand why so people really don't like them it's kind of like a slice of the Internet on your desktop no not a tablet but a Internet appliance with outrageous potential, maybe if there had been better apps, I wouldn't of even minded paying maybe a buck or two for some that were really really good. And can you also use a SD card instead of a flash drive for Zerks firmware upgrade. Thanks again!!

Tom j.

I got lazy in my old age and decided to use these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ … dition=new

instead of having to re-open my Chumby one's case. I also have one for my Infocast 8. I have never opened that one up. This isn't the best price to be found either. I think I paid about $9 a piece for them.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

instead of having to re-open my Chumby one's case. I also have one for my Infocast 8. I have never opened that one up. This isn't the best price to be found either. I think I paid about $9 a piece for them.

SAY THANKS!! that's slick!! didn't even know they made these going to buy a few for some applications I have WOW these are really nice!!!! Still curious if you can use a SD card though.

One problem I just noticed I actually bought the Infocast originally because I was having problems with the Dash rebooting when playing Pandora after a week of solid performance I noticed this morning that the screen was completely black don't know exactly what happen but I cycled the power off and on and now it's playing fine. Just wondering what could of caused this and how do you know what firmware version you have and how do you update it on the Sony there's a deacated icon for updates. Thanks again guys!!

Tom

20 (edited by curt312 2012-07-11 10:20:05)

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Hi Bolo found this one on Amazon for half the price only 8 bucks just do a search for mini flash drive or ultra compact and a bunch come up check out the link below. Thanks!!

Tom

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-SD … f=pd_ybh_2

Say need a little help please first how do I know if I have the latest firmware update on my Infocast I bought it open box but don't see anywhere  were I can find this out. The reason I ask is because since I've had it about 3 week or so it rebooted one and I came down stares and saw the screen completely dark on another occasion. I just recycled it of and on and it respolved that problem.

As a matter of fact the only problems I've had with it has been with Pandora just like with the Dash it appears that Pandora will time out after so many hours and though the Infocast handles this better it still appears to crash from time. Anyone else experiencing this and is there a fix for it. Really can't understand what it is about Pandora that causes this, maybe my firmware needs updating I can do it on the Dash but don't see anything that will let you do it on the Infocast. Thanks Again!!

Tom