Topic: Tiniest flashdrive

I'm looking for a USB flash drive that is as small as possible, so I can leave it permanently installed in the I8.  The idea is that I will have an offline firmware that will live on it, and it will remain installed in the back when I ship the I8 off to my family on the west coast; they will never have to touch it or plug/unplug anything beyond the power cord.

Anyways, the two I came across were as follows:

The DataTraveler was so much cheaper (and still had good reviews), so I just decided to go with it.  Unfortunately I haven't had time since I got it to move my development work over to it, so it's been hanging out idly in the back of my Chumby One.  I think it will go well on the back of the I8, as the I8's USB ports are slightly indented (maybe 1-2mm), and there is also a lip over the top (another 1mm or so), so the device should be adequately shielded from bumps and nudges that might dislodge it.  On the C1, whose USB ports are flush to the back, the DataTraveler does stick out about 4mm or so and isn't too terribly obtrusive, but is definitely noticeable if you look at the back.

EDIT:
While getting links, I just stumbled across the Sandisk Cruzer Fit... its price is much more in line with the DT's than the MosKeyto's, and I definitely trust Sandisk when it comes to flash memory.

Sandisk Cruzer Fit (8GB: Newegg, Amazon // 16GB: Newegg, Amazon)

Re: Tiniest flashdrive

What about this? http://www.dealextreme.com/p/genuine-sa … 07?item=34
I get a ridiculous amount of stuff from there and from my experience any of the items they list as being genuine actually are.

I used a previous (larger) version of the Kingston DataTraveler Micro that I ran the offline firmware on a C1 for a week for a test. It ran fine. Sandisk has always been my first choice, even though they've been 'fooling' with their printed specs lately and speeds are exaggerated. But I tried some really old USB drives with the firmware, and even the slowest ones were fast enough. Some of these mini-drives are made to fit snugly, because they're intended to stay put. Even picking up the C1, I never was conscious of the drive sticking out a little. BTW, the latest offline firmware v18 is still only about 340 MB, so you'll have plenty of extra space even on the small sizes. I usually get USB drives from B&H, because their free shipping is pretty fast, at least here in the northeast. Let us know what you go with, because I've got to pick up a couple more of these, too.

jphphotography wrote:

What about this? http://www.dealextreme.com/p/genuine-sa … 07?item=34
I get a ridiculous amount of stuff from there and from my experience any of the items they list as being genuine actually are.

Yeah, I edited to add the Sandisk Cruzer Fit (which is what you linked) -- and an Amazon seller has it for $12.95 w/ free shipping (16GB version) wink

Wow. I didn't know flash drives had gotten so small. I was going to suggest maybe placing them internally but there is no need with these.

Let us know how it goes. I have a Infocast8 and a Cumby one that I have been testing with Zurks files. I have been using relatively huge flash drives so far but when I need to move permanently to alternate software the Sandisk Cruzer Fit looks like a winner.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Yeah, I've considered the internal flash drive mod for my families' I8 devices - I'll actually most likely just relocate the USB port to within the case (so it's not externally accessible) and seal the port with a little Sugru so there's not a gaping hole in the back, then plug the thumb drive into the relocated port, so if there is ever a need to replace the thumb drive, it CAN be done, but this would ensure it never happens "accidentally" tongue

7 (edited by jphphotography 2012-06-05 20:20:56)

Damn you guys and your Amazon storefronts smile I always find stuff on there I want (lately infocasts etc) but either they won't ship to Canada or want to charge me more than the product is worth to ship it.

@ Doktor Jones, I call that "family proofing" smile Incidentally, if you're going that far why not just pick up a larger microSD card and slap everything on there instead? They're cheaper and then you can still use the usb port for other stuff? I'm not familiar with the I8's (though I'd like to get one), maybe they don't have internal microSD cards?