Topic: Chumby 8 White Screen of Death - Fix

I bought a lot of four dead Chumby 8s off of eBay. Basically I got three working (heard the startup sounds) but still had the white screen of death.

After fixing a few questionable solder joints, checking cables etc on both C8s, I still couldn't get the screen working. Tried the solution of last resort. I pulled out the main board, removed the battery and SD card, and baked it at 200 C for 9 minutes.

One C8 is working normally, I deactivated the previous user with the special screen and I've added it to my account.

The other started up fine but after a couple of hours white screened. I re-baked that one and it ran fine for about 4 hours. Then I powered it down and moved it. When I restarted it, it white screened. I'm going to let it cool overnight and see what happens.

I thought I'd post this as a possible solution since my search of forums turned up complaints but no fixes.

Incidentally, don't forget to remove the battery. I had three working and forgot to pull the battery on one. There was a bang when the battery exploded. When the battery went, it knocked some chips off as well so that board went into the trash.