Re: Zurk's Chumby One Offline Firmware (chumby1/infocast3.5/classic only!)

Yes to all, and I do hear the voice prompt.  After all is said and done, it still goes back to that default blue clock saying press to connect to network.

zurk wrote:

is your usb disk formatted FAT32 ? can you play music files off it from your online infocast ?
are the changelog, debugchumby files in the root of the disk ? does it give a voice prompt saying welcome when it boots up ?

77 (edited by zurk 2012-05-04 12:04:58)

try connecting to the network and see what happens.
also if it does start playing offline widgets go to http://ipaddressofyourinfocast and post the contents of the page after clicking the DMesg link.
you have an unusual infocast with a non standard hardware or something is not working correctly with your network card i suspect.

78 (edited by bbsux 2012-05-06 13:58:35)

Zurk, Could you please take out a few of those mp3's that you have in your file?  They are alone like 90 MEGs!  Its slow enough downloading from sourceforge - and I have cable. (150kb p/sec , 200 if lucky Is standard)

Then I end up deleting them anyway when I first extract the file.  I mean one or two is ok, but what you have is way overkill.

But Otherwise I Enjoy the firmware.

Thanks.

Zurk, is the iheartradio service on the chumby still going to work after the chumby service dies?

download v14.0 and find out. some stuff works, some doesnt. the new offline music infrastructure is now default on all versions of the offline firmware from here on out.
you can still switch back to pandora and the old chumby online infrastructure with one click though.

zurk wrote:

download v14.0 and find out. some stuff works, some doesnt. the new offline music infrastructure is now default on all versions of the offline firmware from here on out.
you can still switch back to pandora and the old chumby online infrastructure with one click though.

I guess I don't know what you mean by "chumby music infrastructure".

I'm downloading now.  sourceforge being especially slow, probly cause everyones downloading it. lol

chumby music infrastructure = stuff that chumby.com provides.
a good way to see the difference is to go to NY times podcasts on the new firmware using the on-board default offline music infrastructure.
then click the link to turn the chumby.com infrastructure on, switch to some other music, switch to NY times podcasts again (to remove caching effects) and see the difference.

zurk wrote:

chumby music infrastructure = stuff that chumby.com provides.
a good way to see the difference is to go to NY times podcasts on the new firmware using the on-board default offline music infrastructure.
then click the link to turn the chumby.com infrastructure on, switch to some other music, switch to NY times podcasts again (to remove caching effects) and see the difference.

Iheartradio seems to still work

84 (edited by bobsz 2012-05-09 00:04:32)

@zurk- a couple of questions. About editing music sources in v14-15, your readme notes:

"You can customize the music by editing the folder : lighty/html/chumcast/list
and create the corresponding xshow file with a list of your music. This will modify the blueocty radio"

I don't know what an xshow file is. Will this create itself? And does this just specifically refer to modifying Blue Octy?

Also, the readme says

"type the following command on the chumby after you edit music on there directly : sync"

Does this mean only if you modify the files inside the Chumby directly, as opposed to on the USB stick in the computer? I'm not sure where or when to type that command.

Another area, I know the architecture changed, but it seems like the wording for the widgets in the profile is largely the same as before. I'm hoping I can cut & paste the main parts of my customized profile parts from v10 into the newer versions. You answered me recently that there are differences in the listing of the parameters for widgets in C1 and C8. I've realized since the original online firmware the widget listing on the C1 list "user" but the C8 list "user type" and more info. Do you know if this line necessary and/or harmless? If I paste a C1 widget description with "user" into the C8 will it be a problem? I'm just realizing I may have to get a separate set of profiles with that info for my C8. I'm 'guessing' the swf size line needs to be in there for the C8 too, even though most of yours are left at 320 rather than 800 and seem to work fine. For some reason, I'm having trouble finding these parameters when I ssh into my C8, profiles seem the same as the C1. I know I'll just have to do trial and error for my own favorite widgets.

One other thought: since you've made the firmwares for the C1 and C8 so much more similar now, do you think you might want to combine the C1 and C8 Forum topics into a new "Zurk's offline firmware" topic all in one. It seems like you're fielding the same duplicate questions in each topic. Maybe also put up the link directly to your readme so that hopefully people look at that first, to see what version you're on and what you've done. Seems like a number of people ask for features you already did on a recent update.

Thanks again for your amazing effort and super-fast paced progress.

nothing creates itself. xshow files are text files. basically modifying music is a lot like modifying widgets but far simpler. open the list file in notepad and open some of the xshow files in notepad and take a look. the xshow_ID file is a description of the music source defined in list with id=. there are about a dozen samples to look at. this is only for blueocty. podcast is slightly different. look in the podcast directory. its also simpler.

use sync if you modify anything on the chumby itself when sshed into it. it basically writes out data to the usb stick similar to the windows eject command on your PC.

C8 profiles are different than C!. best to use the format for the C8 using the same profile download method. dont copy and paste things over from C1 profiles. especially with v15 now that multiple profiles are supported copying C1 profiles to C8 will cause a mess or the channel loading will break. In v15 look at the differences of the new C1 profiles as well.

topics have long since been created so that ship has sailed. C1 has enough subtle differences (like no widget ID overlap between channels) than C8 so its best to keep em separate anyway to avoid confusion. progress will be slowing down now. everything that needs to be done has been done so if chumby goes into the sunset development will not be affected. v15 is the last major change.

Zurk,

Just getting up to speed on things. Looks like you've done an amazing job with this offline firmware. Will download and test as soon as I get some free time.

Question: Does your firmware separate apps into channels? Or do I need to dl all the apps I want to keep from my different channels and keep them in one directory locally?

Thanks!

you can separate apps into multiple channels and organize the directory structure however you want to. it allows you to specify whatever you want in the profile as long as you point it to the correct directory per app. by default i just dump everything in www but you can change it to whatever. it comes with two channels by default but no limitation on however many you want.

awesome, thanks!

89 (edited by bobsz 2012-05-10 22:13:07)

Just wondering if there needs to be a certain naming for additional profiles/channels in v15. For example, the file "profiles" is the same as "profiles0." Will that make it the default? I see the other profile is "profile1" so I'm assuming additional channels would just be "profiles2" etc, right? Your provision for channels is a great one. Amazing how much has evolved in 2 months. Thanks.

Hi Zurk.  First of all: thanks for all the work you put into offline chumbies, especially all the different versions.

I downloaded installed the chumby 3.5 version.  It booted fine, once I reformatted the usb fob as FAT32 (just a suggestion: you might want to make this clearer in the README by not just saying 'blank usb thumbdrive' in the README; I had to cruise the forums to figure this out).

However, I could never get my Chumby Classic to associate with my access point properly, it the message was about not finding an IP address.

Is there something different about the Chumby Classics' drivers that would cause this?  I know the most probably answer is "user error", but I tried many times; I'm pretty sure it wasn't all mistyping the password...

Thanks again for doing the work of prepping the boot images.

Zurk,

I'm having the same behavior as "mschafe" using a C1 (10.6 HW version) with 1.0.7 firmware loaded.

I have serial console on my chumby, what should I be looking for?  I haven't done any profile hacking, I took a clean USB stick (fat32 formatted) and extracted the latest v15 firmware (the zip has md5sum a25d3550814eb2464a3ae9da2786cac2) and get the flite "Welcome to Zurk's offline firmware", then the calibration screen, set the region, date setup, etc.  Then it simply goes to the default blue clock with "press screen to setup network".  Bend sensor does nothing, no other functionality.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Materdaddy wrote:

Zurk,

I'm having the same behavior as "mschafe" using a C1 (10.6 HW version) with 1.0.7 firmware loaded.

I have serial console on my chumby, what should I be looking for?  I haven't done any profile hacking, I took a clean USB stick (fat32 formatted) and extracted the latest v15 firmware (the zip has md5sum a25d3550814eb2464a3ae9da2786cac2) and get the flite "Welcome to Zurk's offline firmware", then the calibration screen, set the region, date setup, etc.  Then it simply goes to the default blue clock with "press screen to setup network".  Bend sensor does nothing, no other functionality.

I renamed "autoreboot.on" and now it is up and running in "networkless mode"... Does your "offline" firmware only remove ties to chumby.com, but still requires network to function?  If so, this isn't obvious in the "howto" documentation.  In fact step 4 in your first post of this thread says "select SKIP when you reach the network setup."

Maybe a note about "offline" being "off chumby network" and/or setup instructions for both "network" and "networkless" modes.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Well, I put 8 gig SD cards in my chumbies, one at a time to make sure it'd work.  So, of course, we were right back to the beginning with being online and so on.

So I've been trying to use the latest version of the firmware to start migrating back offline.  Zurk, I can NOT work out how to alter the profiles file so it works!  What's changed since v9?  I'm editing /mnt/usb/lighty/html/xml/profiles/profiles0 ... I still have the right (omni-clock) widget files, which I stuck in /mnt/usb/www/ ... I've edited the profiles file to point to the files rather than the last place they pointed (which was /www/ on the chumby itself).  But all I get is a blue screen with time/date/etc at the bottom.

As far as I can tell, I'm following the readme, but I just can't get my omniclock.  Where could I be going wrong?

Thanks!

Now, I've made progress.  I have a set of weather and clocks widgets I can live with, if I had to, and so my Chumbies will work.

However, I'd like the set of profiles I'm used to and the clocks I like.  My first problem is that I can find my profile, but I can't wget it.

I can copy and paste a user id and chumy id that works, but when I do a wget, I get a message not found error.

95 (edited by bobsz 2012-05-16 18:41:05)

@kathleen- I don't know how to wget all the parts of your profile at once. I do it one widget at a time. For each widget there's usually 3 or 4 components- the swf, the thumbnail, etc. Each has a URL in the widget "instance" in your profile. Check some older topics in this forum for lots more info. There's probably an easier way to do it than this.

Setting up the offline software and getting profiles from and to the infocast has been easy using WinSCP. It can be found here

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

A lot faster to find the info than just using putty.

I like WinSCP, but I can't find that info inside my Chumbys. Do you have an Infocast 3.5" or the big one? Where do you find the profile(s) when you look in there? I've gone through all the folders, never found anything named like "profile," so I'm guessing it's called something else?

Have you been able to pull off any widget files with WinSCP? I thought I found a whole channel stored in "widgetcache" in my C1, but they were just parts of different widgets saved in there weeks apart. I thought it was nice and easy pulling all these widget files out at once until I realized it was just a jumble. The cache on the C8 was even weirder.

98 (edited by infocastme 2012-05-19 16:38:44)

bobsz wrote:

I like WinSCP, but I can't find that info inside my Chumbys. Do you have an Infocast 3.5" or the big one? Where do you find the profile(s) when you look in there? I've gone through all the folders, never found anything named like "profile," so I'm guessing it's called something else?

Have you been able to pull off any widget files with WinSCP? I thought I found a whole channel stored in "widgetcache" in my C1, but they were just parts of different widgets saved in there weeks apart. I thought it was nice and easy pulling all these widget files out at once until I realized it was just a jumble. The cache on the C8 was even weirder.

I have all 3.5" Infocasts.

Read all the info that comes with Zurk's offline software. The profiles are on the chumby.com servers. So are the widgets.
You will need to download your profile and your widgets then add them to the offline software.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response. I misunderstood what you were using WinSCP for.

Where the heck did it go?

I wasn't able to download/save anything for a few days thanks to a computer snafu.  During that time I saw a post on here about soeone who'd created a bit of java? code to download and convert your profile and all your widgets. 

I still can't get the profile working correctly with the latest version...and I Can. Not. Find. that post about the little program.  Where is it?  (I didn't hallucinate it, did I?  I am SURE I saw it!)

Thanks!