Re: Zurk's Chumby One Offline Firmware (chumby1/infocast3.5/classic only!)

yep. you want it to appear to download the cp.
chumby corresponds to 127.0.0.1. so it will "download" from localhost. just like it downloads the profile etc.
usb drives mounts on top of existing chumbyfs so not possible.

Oh!  Well then, I apologize for my misunderstanding.  Wonderful.  I did go ahead and make the change you suggested to /usr/chumby/scripts/start_control_panel.  Things are now running quite smoothly and happily. 

And since I'm not running it off the usb, I can access all the files I want now.  Great.

Thank you so much for your exceptionally useful software smile and for walking me through using it.

Zurk, did you cover how to remove widgets that you don't want??

delete off the chunk of xml in the profile corresponding to whatever you dont want and the files on disk in /www. its the opposite process as adding a widget basically.

First of all thanks to Zurk for helping us keeping our Chumbies alive...

I've noticed that when I run the Chumby one on the battery alone, the USB port is not powered anymore and the device crashes. This might be a good reason for going native.

not really. the chumby battery system is somewhat stupid.
edit the file :
/usr/chumby/scripts/power_state_changed.sh and remove all the hub lines. that should keep power on to the usb ports on battery.
wont help with the chumby charging batteries to the death problem tho. the whole charging system stupidity ensures batteries wont last more than a year or two tops even if unused.

@zurk- when changing profiles into offline mode, is it important to change this line:

<access access="public" deleteable="true" virtualable="true" sendable="true"/>

to false, etc?

Also, I've been modifying my widgets only on the C1 so far. Should I pretty much be able to cut & paste the profile changes into the c8 profile? Thanks.

yep. replace that line with the one from the offline firmware profile with false etc.
c8 profile format is different from c1 profile format. you can compare the 2 offline firmware profiles to see the differences.
BTW you might want to download v11. it now has a common base for both c1 and c8 so it makes it easier to see the differences in the 2 platforms.

yes. most except pandora can be fixed. pandora cant.

Nuts.  Problem.  This morning my alarms didn't go off. 

They're set to open Pandora, and up until today they've been doing fine even when they can't reach it; they use a beep instead. this morning they didn't.  The alarm opened, but it didn't make any sound at all.  I noticed this was the case, and checked: chumby.com didn't ping (from my computer, which doesn't think that chumby.com is localhost).  I think that may have been the problem.

Is it possible to fix this, to make the alarm realize it is failing when it can't get to pandora through chumby.com?

zurk wrote:

/usr/chumby/scripts/power_state_changed.sh and remove all the hub lines. that should keep power on to the usb ports on battery.

Yes, now it works fine. I just had to do the remount rw in order to edit that file.

only way to fix this is to ensure you use an alarm with a local music source (either mp3 from the local music directory or a built-in sound)
when the chumby.com infrastructure goes away, pandora and most other music sources will go away. the ones remaining will have the same reliability as local music sources. the offline firmware can currently support only a subset of music sources like the podcasts and sleep sounds, blue octy radio. those will stay. ironically nyt podcasts will probably come back when the chumby.com servers die off.

I am having problems running the octopus downloader.   Any suggestions?  Here is the results:

% /usr/bin/java octopus
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: octopus : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:631)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:615)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

But is there any way to make it use the default beep when it can't reach the chumby servers?  The silence today was a problem.

no because it can reach chumbys servers, just pandora server auth was partially broken. so it was like you werent registered with pandora at all. its generally a bad idea to use an online stream for an alarm anyway. set your alarm with a sound and then set pandora or whatever one minute later.
haligan : you want to use java version 7. older java will not work with octopus.

Hey, I've been writing up what I'm doing as I go along.  I added some notes in case people aren't all that familiar with linux commands.  If anyone else would find it helpful, it's here:
http://lady-of-lothlorien.com/chumby/zu … notes.html

Older Java will work with Octopus, you just have to use the javac to recompile the octopus.java file locally before you run it.

67 (edited by bobsz 2012-05-03 17:46:45)

@zurk- I just tried to download Ch1 V11 from the usual link at Sourceforge. The zip I got has no visible "xml" folder inside the "www" folder and appears to have no profile file anyplace. Tried 3 mirrors, 2 browsers. Download is 186,652,488 bytes. Don't know if this is just a hiccup from Sourceforge?

(Changelog inside says it is v11.)

Chumby 8 v 11 downloaded with the usual folders in the usual places. Thanks for anything you can figure out.

yup. the architecture has changed. no more xml folder under www.
profile is now as indicated on the readme.txt file under lighty/html for both c1 and c8.

69 (edited by Steevo 2012-05-03 18:56:17)

Zurk, you are a damned genius.

Thanks!   Gee whiz. 

I am impressed.

Hi there.  I followed all the directions on the 1st post (Infocast 3.5).  It boots, has me calibrate the screen, timezone, date and time.  After that, it just goes to the Chumby default time display like there is no network connectivity (selected Skip as instructed at wireless setup).  No control panel and no widgets. What am I doing wrong?

71 (edited by zurk 2012-05-04 08:58:28)

follow the instructions here :
http://www.chumby.com/pages/latest_software#usbupdate
you need 1.0.7 fw loaded on your device to run the offline firmware.

use a clean usb disk for updating your device software -- do not use the offline firmware loaded usb disk.

zurk wrote:

yup. the architecture has changed. no more xml folder under www.
profile is now as indicated on the readme.txt file under lighty/html for both c1 and c8.

Is this just a clean-up, or are there functional changes? Any reason for someone who has an older release working to upgrade?

functional changes related to offline music sources for when the servers go away for real. also better widget/network monitoring and crash analysis if it dies.
no reason to upgrade unless you like lolcats.

Thanks for the tip zurk.  I did update my device and its doing the same thing though.

zurk wrote:

follow the instructions here :
http://www.chumby.com/pages/latest_software#usbupdate
you need 1.0.7 fw loaded on your device to run the offline firmware.

use a clean usb disk for updating your device software -- do not use the offline firmware loaded usb disk.

is your usb disk formatted FAT32 ? can you play music files off it from your online infocast ?
are the changelog, debugchumby files in the root of the disk ? does it give a voice prompt saying welcome when it boots up ?