Re: Zurk's Chumby One Offline Firmware (chumby1/infocast3.5/classic only!)

Will this firmware also work with the original Chumby? If not, does anyone know if one is available somewhere else?

it does NOT work on the original chumby. i dont have pne so i am unable to test. someone with an originsl would need to modify it to work.

OK. I could give it a go when I have time, but I'm not sure about the best approach. I found the offline HOWTO v1.1 in the firmware download, is this a good starting point?

make a copy of your /psp directory from your ONLINE chumby classic. then replace the files one by one on the offline firmware /psp directory and boot up.
so you would do :
replace file1
boot up with offline firmware and see if that fixes a problem
no ? revert to the offline firmware file.
repeat until all problems go away.
basically its tedious but doable i think.

barek wrote:

OK. I could give it a go when I have time, but I'm not sure about the best approach. I found the offline HOWTO v1.1 in the firmware download, is this a good starting point?

I have my chumby classic working ok in an on-line fashion without reliance on chumby.com (*.chumby.com is redirected to localhost) - you could try using that as a starting point - it has worked ok for me during the last chumby server outages. More info here:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=41664#p41664

We can start a separate thread for chumby classic efforts if you like. I'm happy to help.

servalan wrote:

I have my chumby classic working ok in an on-line fashion without reliance on chumby.com (*.chumby.com is redirected to localhost) - you could try using that as a starting point - it has worked ok for me during the last chumby server outages. More info here:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=41664#p41664

We can start a separate thread for chumby classic efforts if you like. I'm happy to help.

Thanks a lot! Are the files linked in those posts the most recent versions? I'll give them a try.

barek wrote:

Thanks a lot! Are the files linked in those posts the most recent versions? I'll give them a try.

As of March this year. I'm not sure if the CP has been updated since then. The zip contains controlpanel: 2.8.84 - let's take this to another thread. You start one & I'll follow. wink

Just so I am clear, the OS would be running off a USB.
So, we would need to leave the USB to run it, and if we want to switch back, we would just need to take the USB out?

34 (edited by zurk 2012-04-23 10:25:17)

yup.
switch off before removal/insertion of the usb stick though.

zurk wrote:

yup.
switch off before removal/insertion of the usb stick though.

- Thanks.

Can someone explain to me what the Template files are in the widgets xml's, and are the Template files needed in Zurk's offline software? I noticed some apps don't have template files at all, so I know they're fine. Of course, the ones with 'http' download fine with wget. But now I've seen some apps that have template files listed in my profiles, but there's really no address, ie-

template href="/xml/configs/31FFE808-37F9-11DD-9269-001B24F07D28"/

I've tried various pasting in the beginnings of the other template files addresses, to make it like a URL. But that doesn't work, I just get a short XML statement with "access denied." So I'm wondering if I need them at all, or if those particular apps will run without them. Thanks.

they will run fine without them.
but if you really want them download octopus from the forum link and run it. you should find the template file sitting in the stage3 or stage4 directory.

Hey Zurk, seems like my Chumby One is skipping the USB drive and immediately booting and downloading the server control panel. I can't seem to make it stick to the USB- have tried every possible combination of power off/reboot and reinserting drive. (The drive is formatted as FAT32, all unzipped to root)

Any ideas?

only thing i can suggest is update to the latest firmware (1.0.7) from the chumby webpages and try with a different usb stick. are you sure the debugchumby is correct on the root and the directory structure is intact on the stick ?
can you see the usb stick when you go to the file manager on the online firmware ? can you play the music off it ?

zurk wrote:

only thing i can suggest is update to the latest firmware (1.0.7) from the chumby webpages and try with a different usb stick. are you sure the debugchumby is correct on the root and the directory structure is intact on the stick ?
can you see the usb stick when you go to the file manager on the online firmware ? can you play the music off it ?

One quick thought, do you have to force a chmod a+x on debugchumby ?

on fat32 ? nope.
unless he is doing something silly like formatting NTFS it should work fine.

This is great, thank you for making this available.

So, I went ahead with testing it out on the USB stick to iron out any issues.  It's working beautifully.  So I'm trying to use the instructions in goingnative.txt to make it permanent.  I'm having a bit of difficulty with:
"cp -ir all the files keeping the directory structure intact one directory at a time (careful!)." 

For one, nuts, I don't have enough space.  I've removed most of the provided widgets, the music files, and the photo files, but I still don't have enough space on my chumby.  I must have put something large on it at some time, but I can't find it (still looking).

In the meantime, can you help me verify what *exactly* I need to move to the chumby itself? 
These are the files in the .zip:
java/
music/
nano/   
proxy/               
psp/     
TalkingChumby/     
www/
autoreboot.txt   
FAQ.txt     
goingnative.txt 
offline-howto v1.1.txt
readme.txt
zurkoffline.txt
controlpanel.swf 
changelog
debugchumby         
debugchumbyearly                                             
~ ~ ~

So, I presume I need to move, at least, the directories to /, right?  So I "cp -ir /mnt/usb/proxy /", for example.

Am I merging psp/ with the existing /psp or am I replacing it?  (same for www/ and /www).

Do I need the java/ directory?  Doesn't chumby already have java interpretation? 

I think I can get away with skipping TalkingChumby/ and music/ since I am planning on only using a widget I downloaded and Pandora--and the alarm clocks.  Right?  Is there anything else I can eliminate since I won't need the various provided widgets?

Is there anything large that's already on the chumby that I can safely delete, since all I want is the non-chumby-server version with one specific widget/alarms/Pandora?  (I've been backing up everything as I go along, of course.)

I have nano already; does this setup rely on it being in /nano on the chumby?

I'm assuming I don't need any of the .txt files on the chumby itself.

Do I need to put that controlpanel.swf somewhere?  Where?  I presume not just in /, right?  The file doesn't specify.

Thank you zurk!

im assuming youre using v10
java is required to provide weather info to a few widgets. chumby does not have native java
nano is not required.
music is not required
the text files are not required.
the pictures are required (at least one and the XML file) if you are using the photoframe2 widget
proxy is not required.
Talkingchumby contains the speech synth system -- you can omit if you are not going to use talking clocks or the built in speech synthesizer. you will have to remove the widget and the line in debugchumby which says hi and the speech synth cgi scripts in www/cgi-bin.
you will merge /psp and same for www
in v10 you will also need to fiddle with the /psp/zwapi.sh file and replace any /mnt/usb with a writeable  location probably psp somewhere
controlpanel goes in /
also copy debugchumby and debugchumbyearly to userhook2 and 1 respectively.

i recommend you do free up space before attempting this. you have 2GB on the builtin SD card and only 200 megs of space is required for the offline firmware. you shouldnt be running the chumby full anyway.

Thanks for getting back to me! 

Hmm, I have a version 9.  Should I start all over with version 10 if version 9 is working?

Okay, so looking it over, if I don't want to use the weather, photoframe, voice, etc widgets, all I really need to make this permanent are the following:

Merge these with existing directories:
psp/
www/

Copy this to /:
controlpanel.swf 

Copy and rename these:
debugchumby  (/psp/rfs1/userhook2)
debugchumbyearly (/psp/rfs1/userhook1) (BY THE WAY the goingnative.txt I have does not mention this file)

I should delete something from www/cgi-bin.  Is that speak and speak.pl?

And ...I'm sorry, what do I need to do with /psp/zwapi.sh?   Actually, I looked at it and I'm not sure what I'd need it for.  Can I just disable whatever would try to use it?  (I'm quite boring, I'm sure, but all I want is this: http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/Omniclock%20BETA)

Is the rest correct?

Thanks!

if all you need is one widget, v9 is fine.
yes you can delete off speak/speak.pl
you can delete off zwapi.sh if you dont want weather widgets (omniclock will work fine without it).
yep. rest is correct. ive fixed the goingnative.txt in the v11 which is due out soon anyway.

When the Chumby servers go dark, will most of the default music sources (Pandora, IHRadio, sleep sounds, etc) go down too?

yes. most except pandora can be fixed. pandora cant.

Well, nuts.  I followed the steps I outlined above, and moved the files off the usb stick, and rebooted...and got "Downloading control panel."  Drat.  I'll wait and try again with version 11 once you've got it.  I appreciate all the help so far, and hey, it does work well with the usb stick.

Hey, is there any way to mount and read the chumby's own filesystem while running this software off a usb stick?  Sometimes I'd like to be able to check files that are on it (see exactly what I had in my .profile, for example).

hmm..well youre very close. if you dont want to wait you can also force it manually.
edit the file :
/usr/chumby/scripts/start_control_panel
and replace /mnt/usb/controlpanel.swf (there are two occurrences) with the full path to wherever you dumped your control panel.
e.g. /controlpanel.swf or /psp/controlpanel.swf
v11 should make things a bit easier with the chumby8 system being merged with the chumby1. it should then be able to download the cp directly.

Wait, you mean I *want* it to download the control panel?  I thought something was wrong and it was ignoring all the changes, trying to restore the original chumby software.  Hm.

Did you see my question about mounting the chumby's own filesystem when running your software from a usb drive?  Is it possible?  Thanks!