51 (edited by zurk 2012-04-11 18:40:56)

Re: Zurk's Chumby 8 Offline Firmware ( Insignia Infocast / chumby8 only! )

no clue. i just get the profile url from the start_control_panel output and wget it manually.
its the third xml file downloaded by the chumby i believe.

Zurk,

Did you have to wget from inside the online chumby?  I tried it on my pc using the profile url from the start_control_panel, but it said unauthorized.

CF

zurk wrote:

no clue. i just get the profile url from the start_control_panel output and wget it manually.
its the third xml file downloaded by the chumby i believe.

nope. used firefox and wget. both work. make sure its the full url not the truncated one. full one is just above.

Zurk,

I finally get it.  As long as I don't exit the start_control_panel process, I can get to those xml channel profile urls from Firefox.  Otherwise it will say not authorized.

By the way, why is the offline chumby volume lower than the online chumby?
If I start Pandora from the offline chumby, the volume is lower than the same if I did the same thing from the online chumby even though both are set to 100% volume.  Is there a config file in the offline environment I can change to make the volume higher or equal to that of the online version?  Thanks in advance.

CF

zurk wrote:

nope. used firefox and wget. both work. make sure its the full url not the truncated one. full one is just above.

yup its set to 88% volume since i normally connect my chumbies to powered speakers and the stereo system. config file is a text file in /psp. just look for one with a single number in it with a name which says master volume or something.

Zurk,

There is a file named volume and it contains the numeric 100.
There is also a file name asound.conf but I did not see any master volume inside so I don't think that was it.  I cannot find any file that contains a numeric 88 though.

CF

zurk wrote:

yup its set to 88% volume since i normally connect my chumbies to powered speakers and the stereo system. config file is a text file in /psp. just look for one with a single number in it with a name which says master volume or something.

57 (edited by zurk 2012-04-17 15:05:04)

hmm..well pretty sure its in one of the files. best to ssh into the online chumby, copy the files from /psp to your pc and compare them with a diff or whatever to the ones on the usb stick.
the usb stick just overrides the existing config files so deleting em off the usb stick has the effect of using your own config.

V8.0
-----
better weather improvements, scripts and talking clock integration.
all future changelogs will be posted in the firmware under changelog.txt and version number can be shown at this url : https://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/files/

Will we need to install this before the site inevitably goes down or those afterwards still work?

Anyway to run this off a compact flash or sd card?

Great job, Zurk!

Any chance it will support AS3(Action Script 3) widget?

no chance. sorry.
short of chumby releasing a AS3 firmware which is production ready (aint gonna happen ever, they dont even have any employees) and a decent control panel which is AS3 ready and bug free (not in this lifetime). best you can hope for is minor improvements at this point. not major architectural ones.

According to this post(http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=6918), they should already have the beta out, right?

yup. they had the beta out .... in 2011 just before the development team got laid off/moved to technicolor.
the beta they have is unstable and nowhere near production ready. and it will never be.

64 (edited by amigafin 2012-04-25 14:40:53)

I have attempted using  Zurks methods to free my Chumby8 from the network and still keep my present widgets and configuration, but some of the things described here in the forum are beyond my abilities or not working as described (or the procedures aren't clear).

Part of my job at my work is to write and publish technical manuals for the employees on how to do complicated tasks on electronics. This includes programming, troubleshooting, etc...

If I make arrangements with someone who has this figured out to walk me through it on the phone, or give a better detailed step-by step list of instructions, I would be willing to make a PDF with pictures, and an easy to follow-for-the-novice manual on how to do the procedure for free that anyone could use.

Is anyone interested in such a project?

if u want to create a seperate documentation thread and write up a manual i'll answer any specific questions you have. suggest starting with how to change the weather location and move up to changing profiles/adding widgets etc etc.

@amigafin- I'm not the one to help. But I wanted to mention, I've already asked a lot of "basic" questions on the forums about this and have gotten answers. If no one replies, search around other topics and hopefully you'll find enough to get you started.

Ok, I'll work on it this weekend and get a list of questions/issues together and post it. I am close to figuring it out, just a few bugs I picked up trying to learn the what to do, where to go, what to use, and what you mean simultaneously, and still eat, sleep and work! This is tough to learn from scratch in a short time.

Thanks!

amigafin wrote:

+1

I for one would appreciate a "Zurk's offline Chumby firmware for Dummies" guide.  I'm comfortable with using SSH to connect to the chumby and some basic linux commands but it would be nice to have a walkthrough.

zurk makes a good point- start a new thread so new folks will be aware of what it is, maybe just put a link to it here.

+1
Please provide if you could a more detailed guide..

cb4 wrote:
amigafin wrote:

+1

I for one would appreciate a "Zurk's offline Chumby firmware for Dummies" guide.  I'm comfortable with using SSH to connect to the chumby and some basic linux commands but it would be nice to have a walkthrough.

great.  If only we could hack in what has been missing from the chumby8 from the beginning.

The ability to use YOUR OWN SOUNDS on alarms!!!  just like on the chumby1.

oh well.  no hope of that now...

v14.0 allows your own sounds on alarms with the chumby8.

zurk wrote:

v14.0 allows your own sounds on alarms with the chumby8.

really?  I just tried it.  I select "music" and it only lets me select: Pandora, shoutcast, cbs podcasts, blue octy radio, my streams

Or I can select alarm tone, but that only lets you select one of the standard ones.

am I missing something?

It is a monday... LOL

nope youre not missing anything.
you can now customize blueocty radio by putting your own playlists into it by editing the file :
lighty/html/chumcast/list
and create the corresponding xshow file with a list of your music.

then set it as an alarm as usual.

oh jeez, thanks.

you are the best!