Topic: Upgrading the Infocast 8 SD card

I've now spent most of my night trying to get an 8GB SD card to work with my Infocast 8, and still haven't had any luck.

First I plugged a USB stick into the chumby and ran

dd bs=32M if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/usb/infocast8.img

and then stuck the stick and 8G SD card into my computer (through virtual machine because I don't have a full-time linux box) and ran

dd bs=32M if=/mnt/usb/infocast8.img of=/dev/sda

(after confirming /dev/sda was the SD card).

Next, I tried taking the stock SD card out, reading the image using the above method, and then writing it to the new one the same way.

After that, I tried using PING (PartimageIsNotGhost) to copy the stock SD card to a drive backup, and then restore the backup to the 8G card.

Finally, I stuck the 8G card in a microSD adapter, stuck it in the BB8's SD slot, and booted the BB8 off the stock card, and did a direct

dd bs=32M if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/sdb

None of the above methods have worked.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Pretty please?

Re: Upgrading the Infocast 8 SD card

8GB cards are SDHC. It may be that the SD controller on the Chumby doesn't handle >2GB cards.

One of my first "ventures" into the Insignia infocast realm was to upgrade my internal SD card which I did.  Initially tested both 4 and 8 GB cards.  Worked fine here.  I just copied the original 2Gb SD card and utilized GParted to span the partitions. 

That said I also chrooted my Infocast and for a while was running it in chrooted mode / x  windows.

pete_c wrote:

One of my first "ventures" into the Insignia infocast realm was to upgrade my internal SD card which I did.  Initially tested both 4 and 8 GB cards.  Worked fine here.  I just copied the original 2Gb SD card and utilized GParted to span the partitions.

Did you copy the entire card, or partition-by-partition?  That is,
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb or dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 etc?

When you say "span the partitions", did you just extend the /mnt/storage (what would be sdb4 in my example) to take up the rest, or did you expand all of the partitions?

Here is what worked for me.  Get the Infocast 8 ROM here: http://files.chumby.com/firmware/infoca … a0.img.zip

put it on an 8G sd with Winimg or DD it.

When the Inforcast boots up it will expand /mnt/storage to fill the rest of the card.