Topic: chumby.com can't be reached.

Both of my chumbys are displaying this for three days. Reboot doesn't help.  Is the site down?

All of my other wifi devices work fine and nothing has changed on my modem/router.  Puzzled.

Re: chumby.com can't be reached.

My chumby 8 was working fine this morning.  Are you sure that you are connected to your network?

Well, I've checked my settings and they have not changed. I am sending this over my wifi, plus my ipod touch and my roku both work fine....so my network is intact, just the chumbies are affected.

My classic chumby 3.5" is unable to connect to a chumby server since sometime yesterday.

both of mine went down two days ago as well, they just started going the constant reboot cycle, then they finally give up. both exactly at the same moment they began this, and the same day/two as others have reported the same issues.

use my offline firmware

Odd, my Chumby One and Infocast 8 both have no problem connecting.  Duane, maybe there's an issue with some part of the network the Chumby servers are on, that's prohibiting some users from connecting?  That's the only thing I can think of that would cause multiple users & devices to go down simultaneously, while others continue to work fine.

There are posts all over the forum about this.  I've been experiencing it since JANUARY with no resolution.   Telling members that it's their router/network is not the answer.   Something is wrong on the Chumby server end.

no huge surprise. theres tons wrong on the chumby server end since the servers were moved to amazon. large format widgets have disappeared (see simple calendar, wgraphxl, etc on the chumby8/infocast as an example of this), servers go down without warning and lock up and routing is broken for non US routes (hint: there are tons of chumbys located outside the USA!).
anyway, the only real solution (short of someone going in there and painfully fixing server infrastructure) is to download my offline firmware, put your widgets into it and use your chumby as before. alternatively, you have a paperweight until/unless chumby releases its own offline firmware which is going to happen...never.

10 (edited by SShayler 2012-03-06 08:23:03)

I'll give your software a shot.  I have nothing to lose now as it's just a paperweight as it stands.

I never said it was the users' network equipment; please read my post more carefully wink

Unfortunately I am just a volunteer here, and have no means to examine or fix this... but hopefully it's something Duane can look into...

Well, what's interesting is that this forum is hosted in the exact same Amazon cluster as the rest of the service, yet no one seems to be having problems posting on the forum.  Indeed, we have several services consolidated on the same server instances.

Yes, we have *tens of thousands* of devices outside the US, but only a couple of people are reporting problems.

I don't know what to tell you.

I'll see if we can confirm a routing issue - any assistance with confirmation would be appreciated.

I've verified that the service is accessible from London (UK), Nagano (JP), Buenos Aires (AR), Cape Town (ZA), Sydney (AU) and Moscow (RU).

If there's a routing problem, I don't see it.

im not in any of those cities so i cant verify.
however :

C:\Users\x>tracert s3movies.chumby.com

Tracing route to s3-2-w.amazonaws.com [207.171.187.118]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

8    16 ms    16 ms    15 ms  10ge.xe-5-0-0.van-spenc-cor-1.peer1.net [216.187
.89.205]
  9    20 ms    18 ms    19 ms  oc48.so-3-0-0.sea-coloc-dis-1.peer1.net [216.187
.88.30]
10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
22     *        *        *     Request timed out.

as compared to :
C:\Users\x>tracert www.chumby.com

Tracing route to dualstack.app-429506094.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com [107.22.221
.74]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

7    22 ms    16 ms    15 ms  10ge.xe-5-0-0.van-hc21e-cor-1.peer1.net [216.187
.88.121]
  8    78 ms    75 ms    74 ms  oc48.so-5-0-0.tor-151f-cor-1.peer1.net [216.187.
114.138]
  9    90 ms    76 ms    78 ms  216.187.113.74
10    97 ms    89 ms    99 ms  10ge.xe-0-3-0.nyc-telx-dis-1.peer1.net [216.187.
114.194]
11    99 ms    96 ms    95 ms  10ge.ten1-2.wdc-sp2-cor-2.peer1.net [216.187.115
.222]
12    96 ms    98 ms    93 ms  10ge.ten1-1.wdc-sp2-cor-1.peer1.net [216.187.120
.253]
13    96 ms    95 ms    98 ms  10ge.xe-0-0-0.wdc-eqx-dis-1.peer1.net [216.187.1
15.233]
14    99 ms    99 ms    97 ms  equinix02-iad2.amazon.com [206.223.115.35]
15   102 ms   104 ms    97 ms  205.251.245.5
16    97 ms   102 ms   105 ms  205.251.245.47
17    99 ms   101 ms   103 ms  216.182.224.205

So are you saying you can't download any files from s3movies.chumby.com, or just that you're seeing timeouts in a tracert (which is not unusual)?

Well, magically, both of my chumbies finally connected sometime in the past two days.  I had been ignoring them since they frustrated me so much.  Once again, no changes to my network had been made.

I still have no idea if anything was wrong on my end, though I'm doubtful.

I'm located in Fort Lauderdale, FL if that helps.  I have unplugged my C1 and haven't touched it in a couple weeks.  Now that Azogue's Chumby has connected again, I'll try mine when I get home from work today.

Doktor Jones wrote:

I never said it was the users' network equipment; please read my post more carefully wink

Unfortunately I am just a volunteer here, and have no means to examine or fix this... but hopefully it's something Duane can look into...

Sorry that was not directed at you, your post just was above my reply.  I've had multiple people tell me it was MY network that is the problem, that it's not allowing the chumby to connect, etc, when all my other devices connect just fine.  Just my frustration showing.  Sorry if you thought it was for you.  :-)