Topic: Any clue why my Infocast 8" suggested an update yesterday?

I have been guessing that this would be impossible (assuming that Insignia would be involved in any such upgrades and with the product discontinued and all)...

Can we safely assume there were no REAL updates to be applied?

We had a power outage as well yesterday.  My wife accepted the THIRD update prompt and it failed.  Just to be safe, I reinstalled the last "original" December 2010 update and recycled the router.  All is well.

Any ideas as to what happened here?

Thanks much, Jeff.

Re: Any clue why my Infocast 8" suggested an update yesterday?

There was, in fact, a Control Panel update released today - version 3.1.21 to 3.1.23.

This release is to sync the Control Panel with some server changes we've been making.  All chumby-branded and Insiginia Infocast-branded devices received an update, starting a little after noon today.

Note that this was a "Control Panel" update, not a firmware update - there was to need to reinstall anything.  When you rebooted, chances are you got the new software.  For the Insignia devices, there were no user-facing feature changes.

3 (edited by philhu 2011-12-21 21:36:31)

Well, this might explain my Infocast running Chumby8 problems

I've had problems with losing wireless and reconnecting did not work.  It happenned about once a week to once a day

Well, starting a few days ago, it happens every 45 minutes or so, retry causes black screen, sometimes it says my passphrase is wrong, etc, etc.

I posted this problem in another group here yesterday.  Could this control panel be the problem?

It says control panel 5.0.34

Software 1.8.2
Firmware 1.8.3883

Maybe - we don't test the C8 Control Panel on I8 hardware.

I have the large Insignia device running the new Chumby 8 software and got the control panel update.  I have no idea what was in the new control panel, by my device is behaving normally and maintaining its connection just fine for the last few days.  I am very much looking forward to the upcoming updates...

I'm also having random wifi disconnects and various apps not working correctly/unresponsive....  It has been rock solid on the chumby8 fw up until this point sad

Don't really want to have to go back to the insignia fw, but the way it is behaving at the moment may mean I have to....

Well, we did have a server outage yesterday - is it better today?

Duane wrote:

Well, we did have a server outage yesterday - is it better today?

Not really, has been this way since the update (I think since the fw update rather than control panel).... I'm getting things like the Facebook photos app randomly decides it can't login (though other times it works fine) and the Groupon app can't load any deals.  A lot of the apps don't seem to respond to screen presses like they used to either.

Also loses wifi connection regularly which it never used to and it sits literally 2 ft from the router...

Control Panel Version 5.0.35
Software Version 1.8.2
Firmware Version 1.8.3883

OK, so this behavior is just with certain widgets?

Does music (ie Pandora, SHOUTcast) stream OK?

Duane wrote:

OK, so this behavior is just with certain widgets?

Does music (ie Pandora, SHOUTcast) stream OK?

I've just rebooted by pulling the power and they seem to be behaving at the moment....  Could perhaps be a mem leak over a few days?  Will see how it goes and report back.

Well, there's also been some server shuffling going on, which some of those widgets rely upon.  What you might be seeing is side effects of that, rather than a connection problem.  That's why I asked about streaming music, which would give us a hint.

Ok, so been running for 3 days without a reboot and it's now back to the same condition - wifi disconnecting, widgets not loading correctly etc....

Anything you want me to try before I pull the plug on it and hard reboot?