Topic: can't find chumby.com

Suddenly the screensaver stopped working and says it can't find chumby.com.  I am absolutely certain i have a valid wifi connection.  This seems to have happened concurrent with a recent update/reboot.

Re: can't find chumby.com

Hmmm, I don't see anything wrong at our end....

We'll look into it.

I've deleted and re-downloaded the .scr file, and still when I go to setup, it tells me chumby.com is unavailable and I should connect to the internet.  Since I'm able to send this I'm clearly connected to the internet.   I haven't made any significant changes to my setup.  A shame because sometimes I really like haveing a nice big clock on this, my netbook, while doing other work.  Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.  BTW, My other two chumbies work just fine.

I just tried downloading and installing the screensaver on Win7-SP1 X86_64, and I am seeing the same behavior. When I run network monitor, I see the screensaver process trying to connect to the address 207.171.163.213:80. When I visit that address with a browser, I get an Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) page. ARIN confirms that IP is registered to Amazon. Is this service still supported?

I'm not sure what's up with the Windows Screen Saver, but the rest of the service is up and running normally.

I have to admit that the screen saver gets very little attention - only about a dozen people use it.

6 (edited by codex24 2012-01-09 10:39:23)

Duane wrote:

I have to admit that the screen saver gets very little attention - only about a dozen people use it.

Perhaps because it doesn't work? It would appear that it is hardcoded to look for an address that was served by AS3, but has since been reallocated. Can you provide the current version of that address? I can poke through the binary and see if that address string appears and perhaps fool it with a host record or a proxy.

7 (edited by codex24 2012-01-09 10:48:48)

This isn't a 32/64-bit thing, is it? I did have some difficulty getting to the point of actually running the screen saver. I kept getting the "Must install Flash Player for IE" message mentioned elsewhere on this section of the forum. I discovered there are separate Adobe Flashplayer installers for IE & FF, with no selection option, which one you get is based on the browser you visit the Adobe site with. After that, the Chumby SS didn't really install, it just ran from where I downloaded it. Still no connection though...

Thought the reason why the Windows screensaver didn't get any love was it had bugs, esp in 64bit windows configuration..
Dont think its been updated to fix that, has it?

Yes, it has an issue on 64-bit machines.  I think we did a fix but did not deploy it since QA was so busy on other things.

I think at its peak it only had about 20 registered users.