Topic: mplayer and audio on the Chumby Hackerboard

Hi,

I'm trying to get mplayer working on my Chumby hackerboard to have it play audio, but am finding it tricky.

I've installed a development environment (from the Scratchbox instructions at http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/Scratchbox ) and can successfully build mplayer from source.  The resultant executable will run, and seems to decode mp3s, etc. fine, but complains that it can't find the audio driver.

There seem to be a few posts on the forum about building mplayer, and some even have links to built-executables, but none of the links work any more, and there's nothing definite about how to configure things when building it yourself.

Does anyone have a copy of mplayer lying around that they could let me have?  Or any tips on how I'd build/configure mplayer to find the right audio driver on the Chumby board?

It seems as though the audio is run through ALSA - is that correct?  I've tried building ALSA support into mplayer, and specifying it explicitly on the command-line (with "-ao alsa") but it still gives the error "alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:1000:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to create IPC shm instance".

Thanks,

Adrian.

Re: mplayer and audio on the Chumby Hackerboard

Cannot comment on the stock kernel, but I can say that when using a kernel built with the OpenEmbedded toolchain, the ALSA drivers work great.  I've been using a CHB-based music player (running mpd, headless, Android/iPhone app for control) in the lobby of an office for about 6 months and it hasn't skipped a beat.