Topic: chumby one: backup alarm length

I'd like to see another option for my backup alarm to have a timer associated with it.  My primary alarm has a 1 minute timer, but when I'm out of bed and the primary alarm finally stops, the backup alarm keeps going. (indefinitly?) I'd also like a way to tell chumby to stop the backup alarm after a period of time.

Re: chumby one: backup alarm length

The backup alarm was built to maximize reliability, not flexibility.  It assumes the device is in some very bad state, and does anything it can to work - it does not rely on the Control Panel, Flash Player, or even the file system or even much of the rest of the middleware to be alive when it goes off. That means that no options are available.  The only thing it does is timeout after 30 minutes or so.

It actually operates as a "dead man's switch" - it fires unless explicitly told not to.

There are various ancient threads in the forum that discuss the backup alarm - it's a direct response to requests by users for the most reliable alarm possible.

Re: chumby one: backup alarm length

Duane wrote:

The backup alarm was built to maximize reliability, not flexibility.  It assumes the device is in some very bad state, and does anything it can to work - it does not rely on the Control Panel, Flash Player, or even the file system or even much of the rest of the middleware to be alive when it goes off. That means that no options are available.  The only thing it does is timeout after 30 minutes or so.

It actually operates as a "dead man's switch" - it fires unless explicitly told not to.

There are various ancient threads in the forum that discuss the backup alarm - it's a direct response to requests by users for the most reliable alarm possible.

Ok, with that explanation, it seems reasonable and understandable.