Topic: NeTV remote

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there was any additional information about that IR remote that is supposed to come with the NeTV. Can it be accessed from UI code? Can we use it in custom applications or is it only used for the core functionality like selecting a WiFi network, etc?

Thank you,
Razvan

Re: NeTV remote

The remote that comes with the device is the cheapest we could find, at least for the developer units.  It's a simple dpad with two or three other buttons.  It generates events for each press that can be interpreted however you wish - the current UI uses them for navigation.

Are there going to be any other differences between the developer kit units and the final retail units? I'm a bit worried about this uncertainty regarding price, availability and final feature set for the NeTV retail units. Any idea when you will release additional information on this?

Thank you,
Razvan

Well, unfortunately, it is what it is at this point.  We're listening to folks on feature set, pricing, etc. and seeing what developers can do with it.  If it turns out that we can't make what people want at the price people want it, then there's no point in even going to retail.

Ok, understood. I appreciate the honesty! It's a great little device, unfortunately the stuff it does appears to be easy unless you know how HDMI and HDCP work. And unfortunately I've seen this before first hand, with one of our products. I won't go into details (no advertising smile ) but I've had clients complain about our stuff being "too easy to set up" and them being "almost ashamed to promote it" to companies that were used to previous solution that required hours to set up properly.

We're still very much interested in getting a developer kit. Even if you never go to retail with it, it would be just a way to show support to one of the smartest hacks (and minds) I've seen in a while.

Razvan

The remote, fwiw, looks like a keyboard to the OS. When you hit a remote button LIRC drops a key code into the input event queue. The browser then picks up keycodes from the event queue.

Since we use LIRC it's possible to make the IR receiving "learning" and "programmable" but the UI to implement that is too complex at the moment. But it does mean that modifying the device to work with your remote is possible.

At the moment, the remote in the dev kit is in fact the remote we'll ship with the final product.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

Actually, it's not even LIRC, it shows up as a first-class event, located at /dev/input/event1.  We tried using Lirc, but had troubles getting it to actually work.

Provided you don't mind recompiling the kernel, it's easy enough to get it working with multiple devices.  Just #define DEBUG at the top of drivers/input/gpio_ir.c to get lots of information such as decoded keycodes, then add the values to the lookup table at the top.

8 (edited by Ron 2011-11-27 21:15:25)

Hi,

Am trying to capture remote buttons as JS keyboard events with no luck.

Have checked out http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/NeTV_local_UI and have set NeTVBrowser Nativekb On

Any ideas? Example jQuery code would be much appreciated.

Update: Seems like the command NeTVBrowser Nativekb On is not doing what the documentation says it should do.

Thanks is advance,
Ron