Topic: Flash capabilities

One more thing (sorry for starting so many threads but we have so many questions smile )

Does the NeTV have a Flash plugin on board? As far as I understand (and this is really poorly documented), the UI is simply a webpage, with some weird color to mark transparency. I'm trying to figure out how complex this UI can be. Flash would definitely help (unless it's full screen only like in the case of the original Chumby devices).

Thank you!
Razvan

Re: Flash capabilities

I thought I read in one of the earlier posts or the original announcement that the NeTV will *not* support Flash, but I might be wrong about that...

The browser is a full WebKit, however, we do not include the Flash Player as a browser plugin.

We do have Flash Player working on the device (it's the Flash Lite 4 player we released for Chumby 8), but in order to keep the device *completely* open, we're not currently planning on shipping Flash.

Of course, the industry pundits seem to think that HTML5 is The Answer and everything that can be done in Flash can be done with it - we'll see if that's true.  I'm skeptical - the most impressive HTML5 demoes I've seen could be knocked out in Flash very quickly.  They're impressive *only* because they're in HTML5.  My opinion.

Ok, good to know. I'm assuming we can also draw to the screen from any other utility (we're not forced to use a web browser), as long as we choose the proper color for the transparency, correct?

Right.

Quick question: is it possible to get the Flash player on the NeTV (license it separately from Chumby or something similar to that) in case we find out we really need it? In all honesty, I would feel more comfortable knowing that Flash was available, we can easily get someone to put together a quick demo of our system in Flash but we have no HTML5 expertise and as far as I could tell from a quick Google search, HTML5 works fine as long as you don't do anything fancy - once you're looking at custom UIs, Flash still seems to be the king.

Razvan

Yes, it's possible to get Flash running on NeTV, that has been demonstrated already. The licensing is the trickier part.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9