Topic: Chumby's Touch Screen, Finger Prints and Protection, Oh My

My Chumby should arrive today (I'm bouncing off the walls.)

I was wondering (and wasn't sure if there were previous posts that would be relevant to the production models as opposed to the prototypes)... What's the best way to protect the touch screen? Is it possible/plausible/a really bad idea to use those sort of screen protectors they make for Palm Pilots and iPhones and things?

I'm guessing probably not... as from what I've read the screen gets a bit warm and I'd imagine the adhesive would be bad... But all I can think of is the touch screen on our Prius which needs fairly frequent  dusting and wiping with moist lint free cloths.

Is okay to treat the touch screen the same way I do my LCD monitor? Turn it off, wipe with moist  chamois/lint free material?

thanks...
shoe

Re: Chumby's Touch Screen, Finger Prints and Protection, Oh My

My (alpha) Chumby still has the protective film it shipped with over its screen (I moved it inside of the frame to protect it from coming off), and I've had no problems with usability with that. I couldn't imagine it being a problem for the shipping models. As for cleaning and such, it should be no different than any other LCD on the market.

Re: Chumby's Touch Screen, Finger Prints and Protection, Oh My

Thanks. I actually had to remove the protective film. My chumby had a wild ride... And honestly, there was a giant discolored lump in the protective film that made the touch screen look like it had cracked. I had to remove it to verify it hadn't. (I was so relieved.) However, I am finding the touch screen doesn't seem as clingy as some others I've run into. This is a good thing. smile

thanks again
shoe