Re: Running Chumby8 ControlPanel on the Infocast 8" - UPDATED

Raddle wrote:

How did you reflash it?

You will first need to "downgrade" to the official I8 firmware and then "upgrade" to the  latest C8 firmware again.

I'm still having problems with the C8 firmware on my I8.  I had previously reported my experience with upgrading to v.1.8.1 of the C8 firmware and noticed that several of the week-based widgets were not updating properly. I decided to try v.1.8.2 of the C8 firmware, but noticed the exact same problem.

Has anyone else noticed a problem? A good example is the AccuWeather.com Forecast widget. It initially shows up fine with the current day and next two days, but then never updates the days.  For example, if I reboot the I8 on Wednesday, the three days will show Wed, Thurs, Fri.  Wait until Friday, and it still shows Wed, Thurs, Fri.

This is just one of several widgets which show this type of problem.  When I revert to the I8 firmware, these widgets update correctly.

Does anyone else use the AccuWeather.com Forecast widget? If so, do you see the same issue? Thanks!

Raddle wrote:

I updated my Insignia8 to the following.  I had to try two different thumb drives but eventually it worked.

Control Panel:       5.0.30
Software:              1.8.2
Firmware:              1.8.3883
Model No.:             9.7

I now have a bug.  When I run a slide show, only my low-resolution pictures display.  Also, the clock overlay doesn't work (I selected it in settings).  Has anyone else observed this?

I tried reflashing but the bug was still there.  I reverted to software v1.8.1 and firmware v1.8.3785.  The photos and clock overlay work again.

Hi all and thank you for the great effort! I successfully installed the software, yet there is one major feature I miss about the Infocast - the slideshow of pictures from a usb/memory card as an app. It is completely essential to me to be able to have this. I tried the app "usb photo", but with no success. I presume that it is written only for the Chumby 8 which has 1 usb port, while the Infocast has 2, thus the script may need a little amendment. I am completely unaware of any programming in this area, so any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks!

The Insignia 8" infocast we have got changed to this Chumby software. I didn't personally do it and it was mostly because of having problems all of a sudden connecting wireless. Which turned out to be a problem that had to be fixed from information in another forum by changing files.

Anyway, all I use this for is Pandora and I don't know how to make this software stop going through what appears to be the different apps available. Its almost like a demo mode. 

I just want the display to stay on Pandora like it did before, so how can I do that with this software. I don't see anything in any menu to stop it.

156 (edited by Wayneb 2011-11-03 17:43:56)

Just bought an Infocast 8 yesterday, I installed Chumby 8 control panel and added a webpage to control
my Home automation program. If I knew just how cool this thing was I would have bought one a long time ago.

If anyone else noticed the problems I had with AccuWeather not updating, this issue was reported in another thread, and there is a solution that seems to work. See this post for specifics.

Hope not to be a bother here, but I have been a bit frustrated with my insignia infocast 8.  I have to reboot and reboot and reboot and reboot and well you get it (a lot of times) before it will get past the downloading control panel (keeps saying unsuccessful, but eventually get through).

Would doing this firmware trick potentially fix this?  I am trying to figure out exactly what happens with overwriting the I8 wtih chumby 8 and exactly how to do it, but as forums often go, things slowly develop over lots of posts rather than one summary post.

Could someone sort of outline this process for me and tell me what I might gain by doing it?

thanks

gobluelou wrote:

Hope not to be a bother here, but I have been a bit frustrated with my insignia infocast 8.  I have to reboot and reboot and reboot and reboot and well you get it (a lot of times) before it will get past the downloading control panel (keeps saying unsuccessful, but eventually get through).

Would doing this firmware trick potentially fix this?  I am trying to figure out exactly what happens with overwriting the I8 wtih chumby 8 and exactly how to do it, but as forums often go, things slowly develop over lots of posts rather than one summary post.

Could someone sort of outline this process for me and tell me what I might gain by doing it?

thanks

I'm seeing this alot too....Control panel 5.0.34

Also, still seeing the network error, do you want to try to reconnect?

If I say yes, mostly it loses my dhcp setting and i have to power the unit sometimes a few times

It happens 2-3 times a day

I tried manual addressing, and it just hangs.

160 (edited by Kurtois 2012-02-08 11:36:41)

I just followed post #59, following the link:
http://www.chumby.com/help/chumby_8/lat … #usbupdate

That said, the 'chumbrowser lite' is now downloading (slowly).  Everything has gone fairly well.  The LCD screen configuration for touch interaction went a little rough; had to do a RETRY on the "drag the ball from circle A to circle B"  _several_ times.

I started with a virgin Infocast 8, setup the networking information, and did NOT install the update that I was prompted to install.  I then started with MVS' instructions of just using the USB install instructions at the link above.

Well, after several minutes, the chumbrowser lite "Downloading update" progress bar appears to be just sitting now.  Hmmm.

The progress bar has been showing different "amounts" of progress.  Something going on at Chumby Industries I should know about at this time of day?

Wow.  I just wonder if the servers are being maintained at the moment.  The 'chrombrowser lite' update finished normally.

tylerfixer wrote:

With that said, here's the download link...
http://thecubed.com/chumby/i8-to-c8mod.zip

Good luck!

The server for the original link posted by tylerfixer died.  I contacted him; he provided this alternate download address:

https://www.box.com/s/95249fc14f1912ef588b

I know this is at the end of the thread, and most people won't find it, but hopefully some will.