Topic: Custom Firmware

I'd like to develop a killer application that targets the Chumby hardware. I want my application to be part of the firmware so that it doesn't have to run from external memory i.e. a replacement 'control panel'.

Presumably if I have the toolchain set up I can compile a custom firmware? Then I plan to sell my killer software application preinstalled on a chumby as a standalone product.

Can I do this legally?

clark

Re: Custom Firmware

Yes, you can certainly do that "legally". We don't prohibit users from doing what they want with their device, with the obvious caveat that we're not able to provide any support for software we didn't create, and you're on your own if you brick the device.

All of the source code for everything *except* the Adobe Flash Lite player is posted here.  Note that much of the software is licensed under the GPL, and you'd be bound by that license to make the source code available under the same terms that we are.  Since you intend to distribute your software commercially, you have additional obligations than someone distributing for free, in that you must supply source code even for stuff you haven't modified.

You would *not* have the right to redistribute the Adobe Flash Lite player as part of your firmware image without obtaining the necessary license from Adobe.

Re: Custom Firmware

Hard to really respond to this without knowing the actual use.  We tried to create a very liberal license for what someone can do with their own chumby.  You can read it here.  In any event, this is the binding agreement rather than an "off the cuff" response.  If what you want to do is in synch with this, you're fine :^)

http://www.chumby.com/developers/agreement

st