Topic: AS3 Support for Chumby One?

Hello - I have been trying to develop a small app which will send and retrieve JSON data.  To make a long story short, this seems to be a less daunting task with AS3 than AS2.

The machine specs for the different Chumbies implies to me that AS3 is supported on the bulk of them, but the Chumby One (which I happen to have) is marked as "coming soon" per this page:

https://store.chumby.com/pages.php?pID=15

My questions are:

- would it be sensible to continue in AS3 and simply wait until later to test natively on my Chumby One?
- How soon is "soon?"  :-)

Re: AS3 Support for Chumby One?

As of this date (3/25/2011) we are only shipping Flash Lite 3 on all devices, which only supports up to AS2.

We hope to have a release soon for most devices that would upgrade to Flash Lite 4, which includes support for AS3.

Duane, is the new Chumby (8?) shipping with Flash Lite 4?

It will not ship initially with Flash Lite 4, but should get a firmware update not long after that will have it.

There was a bug that wasn't fixed before the factory freeze or the first OTA update.

Is there any more information on when AS3 will be available for the Chumby One? Or a sense of how soon is the "soon" in "coming soon".

I have been holding off working on apps (I have some hacked in AS2) and buying books as I expected to be developing in AS3.

phil_jones2000 wrote:

Is there any more information on when AS3 will be available for the Chumby One? Or a sense of how soon is the "soon" in "coming soon".

I have been holding off working on apps (I have some hacked in AS2) and buying books as I expected to be developing in AS3.

I have been in the same boat. I have held off on some apps so I wouldn't waste time making them in AS3 just to have the Chumby One never support it. If "soon" really means "in the distant future" I will just start my apps in AS2.

Can any Chumbians shed any light on the plan for AS3 on the Chumby One? I had hoped my earlier posting would prompt some reply.