Topic: Status.simple

Great widget develephant!  I don't see where to get the XML config from----how does my XML file need to look?  Can you post here?

Thank you!

Re: Status.simple

Here is the XML...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<status>
<status_text>Your status text</status_text>
<status_color>FFFFFF</status_color>
<status_sound>path_to_my.mp3</status_sound>
<chumbridge_link>http://site.com</chumbridge_link>
</status>

You can get it anytime by clicking "customize" on the widget at the Chumby site, then click the "Get Status XML" text in the upper corner of the widget preferences panel.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  The Chumbridge link is optional.

Cheers.

Oh, duh! 

Thanks!  This will be awesome to alert me to new helpdesk tickets, new orders, etc.

Hi--
I put the XML file and the crossdomain.xml file on my server, but status XM keeps reporting an error loading the xml file.  Anny suggestions?
Thx,
KB

On the same topic - I have made it work (i.e. I get the XML file displayed on my Chumby) but I seem to be unable to update the messages.

So my question is really : How do I update the messages? Currently the only way I can get the Chumby to pick up the message is if I reboot it, which is a bit tedious in the long run.

The chumby is probably caching the data - the server needs to either set the response to not be cached (in the HTTP header) or the URL should have a "cache-buster" parameter.

I have made sure that no expiry/cache headers are set by the server (I use a local network webserver) and use a query parameter to "bust" any caches on the chumby.

Still no joy - the changed alert is not read from the file.

Looking at the access logs on the server the chumby does not try to access the server unless I reboot it - so I am reasonably sure there is no httpd caching involved - how often does the application try to reread the .xml file??

Answering my own posting - It is now working, I was testing with a channel with only this widget in it - I added another widget with traffic to the local domains (menalto) and now it updates itself every 6 minutes or so.

Thanks for you help!

Love Status.simple ... easy way for me to post updates from my server to my Chumby ... however, it would be even better if I could provide some simple formatting in the XML, such as bold or italics, etc., to create headings and such.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Or, given the '.simple' suffix (i.e., KISS), is the source code available, so that I could make some minor changes myself?

[not sure how to address this question directly to the author, develephant]

Thanks!

It looks like this widget just disappeared!  I've been using it for months and today it was deleted from my channels.  Any ideas?

The developer deleted the Status.simple app from the catalog yesterday - thus the disappearance.

That really is a shame.  I spend a lot of time writing different scripts to provide valuable input to the status.simple app. 

It also illustrates one of the big problems with Chumby.  The usefulness of my Chumby powered device can be degraded very quickly based on the whims of a developer.

13 (edited by cbreeze 2011-06-03 11:50:49)

pearmaster wrote:

That really is a shame.  I spend a lot of time writing different scripts to provide valuable input to the status.simple app. 

It also illustrates one of the big problems with Chumby.  The usefulness of my Chumby powered device can be degraded very quickly based on the whims of a developer.

My apologies.  I was doing some house cleaning and may have inadvertently deleted this one without thinking through the consequences.  Let me look at giving you the source.  If not, I'll just add the widget again.

edit: I am going to do both.  I will post the widget again and provide a link to the source in the near future.

-dev

14 (edited by cbreeze 2011-06-03 20:20:58)

I've added the widget back, so it will just be a matter of chumby approving it.  If anyone is interested in the source you can download the files here.  This is a pretty old project, so excuse the loose code.

If you improve and resubmit as a new widget, please leave some credit. smile

-dev

I was able  to get over the  cache problem  using a fake "Get"

this my full path :     http://mysite.com/simple/simple.xml?nocache=12345

The ?nocache=12345  force the file reload  on my Debian apache2 server

BTW any variable should do!  just the ? with something will work!