Topic: Download/Purchase an APK for non-market devices

Any non-android market to buy/download the Chumby APK?

Don't mind buying it, its the cant install to my tablet that is slightly annoying (Notion Ink Adam)

Re: Download/Purchase an APK for non-market devices

We're trying to get it into other app stores for devices that aren't able to use Market.

Does this tablet have one?

3 (edited by joltdude 2011-03-19 07:00:47)

Currently am using SlideME (http://slideme.org/) ... a few devices are able to sideload this particular app store.. But its more indie than some of the other stores.. (device was supposed to ship with Marketplace and/or their own app store (grrh) but wasnt allowed to.. its the tablets running non 3.0 issue)

Really wish google would get its head out of its backside regarding this.. Iv had a few vendors use GetJar..

Its kind of fascinating. the whole getting to sale of the Notion Ink tablet reminds me of a lot of the issues you had with the Chumby originally coming to market.. But they went global from the get-go and ran into even a larger can of worms.

As an aside, I always thought Chumby would be an interesting addon to the B&N device.. Similar to the Notion, they arent going to run Android Marketplace but might be an interesting addon to their walled garden.. They are waiting on a firmware upgrade for flash support, but the store and flash are supposed to both become avalible at the same time.

http://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com … ok%20Color

actually I am using the Amazon android market now..
Would be great to see this avalible...

smile

We submitted it to Amazon weeks ago, it has not been accepted.

Will it be announced here when its accepted?

What about pocketgear? They have apps for most mobile OSes.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Yes, we'll post if/when it's accepted.  It was initially rejected due to some alleged violation of Amazon's terms of service, but they were unable to actually tell us which term it violated.  We appealed, and it's been stuck in limbo since then.  They're apparently a bit like Apple in that regard.

We'll look at PocketGear.

Hmmm ill have to check out Pocketgear.. If your going to reject an app, you should at least tell a vendor why if it isnt obvious?

Grrrhh.. thats irritating.. Figured Amazon would be a bit more liberal than apple.. *eyeroll*

The "chumby Lite" app is now available on Amazon's store.

Just downloaded.  Loaded right up on my Droid X!  What's the difference between the "Lite" one that's free on amazon, and the $5 version on google marketplace?

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

The "lite" one will show ads, the $5 version won't.

The lite version is also on Google Market.

I am planning to download it now but I can't decide which one. Is that the only difference to be noticed between the lite and the paid one? I mean, other than the ads, will there be any significant limitation the lite will have as compared to the full version? Hoping for your reply. Thanks!

Functionally they are very similar.