Topic: touch screen?

sorry if I missed this somewhere but does the Chumby have a touch screen?

Re: touch screen?

yes...touch the top left corner to get the control panel.

...or you could squeeze (gently) the chumby using the bend sensor located on the top right corner of the unit (outlined by a stitched area) to also bring up the configuration menu.

The touchscreen is key to using the chumby, since you can adjust all the system configuration and fine-tune various widget behavior (on a widget-by-widget basis, if such behavior is configurable).

Also see: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=51

Joe

Thanx for the reply, I can't wait to get ahold of one of these.

Is there a way you can have a bigger screen (still touch screen)?

They are too expensive... a 7 inch touchpanel LCD is in the $150-250 range. And you still have to figure out how to get video output from chumbys motherboard

didn't someone in this forum said it could play videos included in a flash?
if we keep the videos a reasonnable size when playing on 7inch
don't you think consumers would accept to pay 250 USD for a chumy with 7 inch

Maybe... Maybe not... I know I might pay for that, but there are even people saying right now that a $150 clock is too expensive...

jacubilloro wrote:

They are too expensive... a 7 inch touchpanel LCD is in the $150-250 range. And you still have to figure out how to get video output from chumbys motherboard

Video out and Touchscreen in aren't the hard parts, as they're pretty well defined in the schematics, and the Freescale MX21 has two LCD drivers (one for "smart" panels that include buffered outputs and one for "dumb" panels that don't), but I haven't figured out which one is used in this project yet (as I can't figure out what specific LCD they're using, and I haven't yet looked into tracing the pins and seeing which are connected to the screen).

A 7in LCD is significantly more expensive than a 3.5in one, and at these low number of builds I can't see it being economical to sell them. However, from the looks of things, it doesn't seem to be that hard of a mod, so you might look into that.

phugon wrote:

didn't someone in this forum said it could play videos included in a flash?
if we keep the videos a reasonnable size when playing on 7inch
don't you think consumers would accept to pay 250 USD for a chumy with 7 inch

If we ever get a forum FAQ, the first line in the FAQ should read: Can Chumby Do Video? And the appropriate answer is "No, but it may in the future. As of right now, Chumby is too slow for video, but a driver could be written to use its specialized MPEG hardware to help it decode video. However, because Chumby's design isn't finalized yet, code hasn't been committed to use said hardware. If Chumby's design does include a new processor, it is likely that the new processor will have incompatible MPEG extensions, and thusly would require a rewrite of the specialized code to play videos."

And apart from that, no, I don't think (general) consumers would pay for a 7in touchscreen Chumby, as 7in LCD picture frames are already a hard sell, and their logic is significantly less complicated than Chumby's. A 7in LCD Chumby is more of a candidate for the One Computer Per Child project than for a consumer device (even though there are plenty of consumers interested in the CP1).

It turns out that the video question _is_ the first question in the FAQ....
http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index.php/General_FAQ