Topic: Chumby (Dash) blue screen on initial load...

I've got a fairly data and graphic intensive widget that always blue screens when it first loads.

I though it might be too data intensive so I turned off all data acquisition/analysis - no web connectivity - no active screen elements at all - still blue screen

I thought it might be too compute intensive when it first rescaled a map .jpg up front so I turned that off - still blue screen

I turned everything off except one small movie clip (static) attached to the _root, not using any fonts, timers, - still no joy.

Turned off the onResize listener, viola - loads every time! - the one small static clip.

So I add the resizing of the map image back in (everything else still off) and its back to blue screen every time...

The weird thing is that the full app always seems to start if I wait long enough!

I'm using CS3 AS2 targeted at 8.0. Works well in all known video resolutions and on every virtual Chumby it runs on. Any ideas?

thx - wlovin

Re: Chumby (Dash) blue screen on initial load...

Yes - I saw you over there... I could never get an app loaded from the Sony website, so I moved over here...

You're doing exactly what I'm doing - XML weather data, map, pretty movie clips, etc...

Do you know if this is an issue with platforms besides the Dash? I'm getting an InfoCast later in the week - I'll let you know...

As, I mentioned though, thus far it has *always* started running - a few minutes to a few hours... Of course, I just added another 200 lines of code over the weekend - we'll see if this starts...

3 (edited by wlovin 2011-04-11 09:54:27)

That last post was a 11:57 AM and the app was running 30 minutes later. Makes debug a b****... Also, I'm using CS3...

Ha ha - That's why *I'm* over here!..

It has taken between 5 seconds and 5-10 hours to get these things to run... This morning I had one start in 5 minutes and a very similar one start in 45 minutes, so go figure....

Sure - I'd be happy to try yours out - I think you can share it with me via Chumby.com or something like that...

When I go to "My Messages", I don't see anything there... Having never used the feature before, I guess I'm not surprised that it doesn't appear work smile

OK - Browsed apps and still no email (which is where it should be) - Just send the .swf to the email addy the old-fashioned way....

Yes - me too - I'm not sure they have any developers per se - I thought Chumby did most (perhaps all) of the work for them... That being said, tonyyng1 was going to send them one of his apps that blue screened on start-up - I guess he never heard back...

Also, I've got my InfoCast sitting over there not yet hooked up - I guess I ought to do that and see if the error is Sony related before posting further...

9 (edited by wlovin 2011-05-04 08:23:38)

OK - Just hooked up the Insignia InfoCast 8 and I have to admit it just works better than the Dash - i.e. No blue screen - Immediate execution... The UI is extremely funky (how do you get to the control panel without powering off and on for example) but NO blue screen...

Hey Tony - You might invest in an InfoCast 8 - no problems for a full day... Not as nice build quality as the Dash and the touch screen is very picky, but at least the apps work - makes it faster to develop stuff...