Topic: chumby face screen saver

I like the vinyl body idea...I have so many weird and wonderful...and simple yet luxe ideas for chumby outerwear!

Just thinking...if we want to embed them into soft plush toys/vinyl toys whatever...wouldn't it be great to have a widget to make customisable faces for a screen saver. 

Also, be able to save .jpg photos of friends/favourite characters/avatars as chumby's face! Which with the Flickr widget sounds already possible....

This is such a personalisable item! I am thinking of it as something like a teddy bear more than a computer....I'm already attached to my imaginary chumby friend...

Looking forward to lots more future posts in this part of the forum!

Re: chumby face screen saver

That is a great idea.  I imagine it would be a popular thing to be able to place your favorite face on the screenwhile not using it.  Maybe even little comic-like bubbles for it to say your quote of the moment.. lol.  Not sure about plush vs. vinyl.  I think plush is cool too, but I keep imagining having a hard time getting the chumby plush to sit right whereas a vinyl would stand up ok.  Ya know?  Still.. the idea of the faces is great!

Annalee Newitz of Techsploitation has written an article about chumby for Alternet.

Are we all talking about chumby like it's a new doll/pet? Or is it just the girls? Or just the slightly more imaginative souls among us?

This article shows exactly why chumby needs a customisable face widget!!! Come on flashy people!

Perhaps it's just the childlike ones?

Mine's called Chumbelina smile ...feel free to sing along children!

Chumbelina, Chumbelina, tiny little thing
Chumbelina dance, Chumbelina sing,
Chumbelina, what's the difference if you're very small?
When your heart is full of love, you're nine feet tall!

Chumbys seem to be "alive but not alive alive" or "sort of alive" as some kids said about their furbies, tamagotchis and such...Cuddling up to Cyborg Babies

I loved doing these Piaget-type interviews with kids at uni...it is amazing what is in their little heads...

Tiny Chumbelina! You could fit into my hand.
I hope you find a happy place in a sunny, fairy land.

(I so need to get a craft/tech blog happening! Until then you have to put up with me here! tongue)

Id rather have a Chumby Beast from that classic Disney movie, and that included a fuzzy mane to curl up with on cold winter nights.

(sorry) Man I love all this hype over a clock. OMG i really cant wait till day 1 release. Thinking of getting 2? (sorry)

a chumby face would be cool. especially if it was interactive, so like say you could prod it, and poke it and stuff tongue

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

chumby.wanna.be wrote:

Id rather have a Chumby Beast from that classic Disney movie, and that included a fuzzy mane to curl up with on cold winter nights.

It can be done...I have the tech for that...just not the software/hardware/Flash skills....

Sorry for cross-posting...but I am up for a skill swap...if someone can trick out my chumby I will make them their dream cover (I'm just hoping bunnie responds to this offer - now that would be tricked out! wink ).

chedabob wrote:

a chumby face would be cool. especially if it was interactive, so like say you could prod it, and poke it and stuff tongue

I'm imagining a face that reacts when you poke at it.. blinks an eye when you do that or grimacing.. etc.  LOL.

I think that your face screensave is a really good idea, I had the same idea and thaught maybe it would be sort of a combination of this

(http://www.alterfin.com/yariv/index.html)
(http://www.alterfin.com/dominique/)

and maybe a mouthless/simple character

(http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2006/09/01 … oKitty.jpg)

Does anyone know how that kind of animation is created? I once watched an entire movie done like that with peoples faces on thumbs tongue So I know it can be done!

would a large animated .gif work? or would flash be needed?

I's makes pretty pictures and comic books

You'd definitely want to make a Flash movie, since that what the chumby plays - however, there is an Open Source program in the swftools set that will convert an animated GIF into a Flash movie for you.

Also, if you need anything, drop me an email ;-)
therethinker (no spam!)@gmail .com

(Minus spaces and the "no spam" wink)
It shouldn't be that hard. big_smile

Hello.  I've just started developing a simple widget that lets you choose and place different features on the screen, then gives them simple interactivity once they're selected and placed.

I'm glad I came across this thread - I wouldn't want to duplicate efforts.  If someone else has actually started moving forward with this, please post and I'll hold off.  If not, I'll keep it goin'.  Thanks.

For those who were interested in a customizable face screensaver/widget, I'm nearing completion - it'll be available in the next couple days.  Looking forward to hearing some feedback on version 1.0 when it's out there.

Okay, for anyone who was interested in the face widget, it's up - Face Maker under the "Chumby" category.  Enjoy!

Its VERY VERY cool!

Thanks, Chipmunk.  I hope you make many fun faces.