Topic: Hello! My Chumby is awesometastic!

Wow, I can't wait to show my buds at tech... just, so many possibilties!

I wanted to report one thing. During use, my lcd screen flickers a lot. Is this something all Chumby users face, or do I have a damaged chumby? This only really happens during the wifi connecting process, so I'm thinking it may just be that the usb stick is draining more power.

Thank you so much!

Andrew Stone

Re: Hello! My Chumby is awesometastic!

Hi there, sorry to hear that your display is flickering. There is an ambient light sensor in the chumby that tries to adjust the brightness of your screen when the room light level is low. Two possible causes for your problem are either that the light sensor is slightly noisy (this could be caused by shadows moving across the sensor), or your display's dimmed backlight threshold is set too low for the display's backlight to perform in a stable fashion. This is a known bug in the current run of chumbys. Thus, one possible workaround is to go to your control panel, go to the screen icon (near the top left of the control panel), and swing the display brightness slider toward the right. Try going all the way first and seeing if it fixes your problem and then you can try finding a lower threshold that does some display dimming.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

The way this currently works is that there's a light level threshold value - when the light sensor is below this value, the display dims, if above, it brightens.  In actuality, the driver understands sixteen thresholds and levels, but we're currently only using two.

When you enter the "screen" control panel, it captures the current light sensor value and the brightness slider will be adjusting the value for that level.

In certain low ambient light conditions, putting your hand near the display is often enough for the chumby to thinks it's in a dark room.  Conversely, I've walked near it with a light T-shirt that reflects enough light from a light source that the chumby thinks the room is light.

I want a chumby sooo badly.... sad

~Ryan~

Warpling wrote:

Maybe someday, when you grow another two legs.

>:(

Warpling wrote:

I think everyone here feels the same way. I'd love to get my hands on this thing and start working with it... it's almost like a fulfillment of a dream (I was dreaming of a wifi-remote device where I could view information about my computer from anywhere in the house) but this device is so much more flexible than the one I imagined.

Yes Me Too

Wow, stumbled across this chumby madness, and I have to admit I'm impressed. Who do I have to sleep with to get one of these? I'm gearing up to start a post-grad project in ubiquitous computing and interactivity design down here at QUT on the gold coast of Australia, and a chumby would make me the coolest kid on campus. And opensourcing everything is genius. Seriously, genius big_smile

10 (edited by Aremith 2006-08-27 18:47:14)

Computer_Kid wrote:
Warpling wrote:

me too, when can I preorder?

Considering that is still in the prototype phase, and it's nowhere near finished, and that the expected release is Spring '07, it is FAR from preorder.

Aremith wrote:
Computer_Kid wrote:
Warpling wrote:

Considering that is still in the prototype phase, and it's nowhere near finished, and that the expected release is Spring '07, it is FAR from preorder.

It makes you even more jealous of the ppk at FOO who got one eh? wink

Aremith wrote:
Computer_Kid wrote:
Warpling wrote:

Spring 07 isn't that far away at all.  I would be very impressed if the product was available by then.  That's a diggworthy story on it's own!

That flicker... are you sure it isn't feedback?  Well, I guess not, it should be positive, and that would probably prevent oscillations.
Hmmm... I would like to interface a GPS receiver to this.  The light sensor would tell the map program whether to use nighttime colors (light roads on a dark background) or daytime colors (dark roads on light background).

Man, I sure would like a Chumby.

Hack/Build/Make/Mod
Live.

70.80868%: Geek God.

Well if you don't like it, you're welcome to send it back and we can give it to someone that would.

Where did you get one?

PocketBrain wrote:

70.80868%: Geek God. (www.innergeek.us)

Now THAT is a nice fast loading web page smile

Peter
I don't work here. I'm a consultant.

@zlnetworks
Seriously, Id do anything to have one so stop complaining.

Besides the people who did FOO, how many have gotten a prototype?

zachninme wrote:

Besides the people who did FOO, how many have gotten a prototype?

Probably a dozen or so people outside of friends and family.

We might have some contests or other methods of obtaining an early chumby for those who weren't at FOO Camp, so stay tuned... smile

Joe

im deffo interested. it would be a unique feature for my site, delivering videos to your bedside.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

I would kill for a chumby... I take an electronics engineering class, where we learn how to build MP3 players, and computers, so this would be a treat to bring in to class to fiddle with... But I don't have the money for when it does come out D:

I so want one of these smile it would be fun. I can't wait smile

I would use it for running some small animatronics possibly smile interface a serial servo controller to it. smile  I have a animatronic costume, and this might make a good animatronic plushie

I would love to get a hold of one if they are avaiable.

Jason@programmergeek.com

goatboy wrote:

Wow, stumbled across this chumby madness, and I have to admit I'm impressed. Who do I have to sleep with to get one of these? I'm gearing up to start a post-grad project in ubiquitous computing and interactivity design down here at QUT on the gold coast of Australia, and a chumby would make me the coolest kid on campus. And opensourcing everything is genius. Seriously, genius big_smile

You're too late Goatboy, my 17" PowerBook, Toshiba e800, Nokia 6280 and complete lack of respect for the opinions of lecturers has already made me the coolest kid at the Gardens Point campus in Brisbane.  wink

On a more serious note, if you want someone to confer with for Chumby software development etc, feel free to contact me. I'm only first year, but I have "connections" and a lot of experience in web development.

silent_guardian wrote:
goatboy wrote:

You're too late Goatboy, my 17" PowerBook, Toshiba e800, Nokia 6280 and complete lack of respect for the opinions of lecturers has already made me the coolest kid at the Gardens Point campus in Brisbane.  wink

On a more serious note, if you want someone to confer with for Chumby software development etc, feel free to contact me. I'm only first year, but I have "connections" and a lot of experience in web development.

Funnily enough I am at QUT too...but you probably would have no respect for me... wink

When did they invent the campus on the Gold Coast? Must have missed that email...

I'm pretty sure I'm probably cooler than both of you.