Topic: Asterisk on Insignia Infocast

The Insignia Infocast would be a good target to be an asterisk or FreePBX server due to its elegant hardware. Anybody has tried to install asterisk on this device? I installed gcc toolchain and will try to download the asterisk source code to see if it is possible. Please advise if any script or source codes need to be modified. Thanks.

Re: Asterisk on Insignia Infocast

I'm not sure how well Asterisk would work on an Infocast or other Chumby device. Generally, VOIP is pretty processor intensive and even Flash movies run a bit sluggish. Not sure exactly what you're looking to do, but if you're looking to run an Asterisk server on this, I don't have high hopes for success. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Interesting project; keep us posted on your asterisk progress.  I would think it would run fine, provided that you're using uncompressed codecs and don't have too many users.  If you start making it crunch audio, then it may bog down fairly quickly.  I bet it will handle a pretty hefty load of uncompressed traffic from IP phones.

4 (edited by davidnewton 2011-02-16 20:15:28)

I think the Insignia Infocast is good enough for light asterisk use if only essential modulus are loaded. When I ssh into it, the CPU usage is less than 20% most of time (with NOAA Weather running). The free memory is about 20MB. I have used an Asus WL-520GU router with Tomato firmware to run Asterisk. This router only has 16MB total memory and the CPU is much worse than the Infocast, but it still can handle 2 calls at the same time with G711 codec. The Infocast's hardware is similar to Seagate Dockstar. It should be a good exercise to try asterisk without running too many applications.

5 (edited by GrizzlyAdams 2011-03-01 09:43:26)

I think that I would start with OpenWRT for the dockstar/pogoplug, since it has FreeSWITCH available.
It shouldn't be too hard to get going on the Infocast 8".