Topic: Automatically starting framebuffer

For the fun of it, I am trying to figure out how to automatically start framebuffering instead of going to the hidden control panel every time I reboot.

It seems that I should be able to create /psp/rcS with the following:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/chumby/scripts/fb_cgi.sh

However, it will no longer boot! Ouch! I hope it is not bricked now. Any suggestions on how to get it to boot? How about the right way to automatically start it? Everyone's help is greatly appreciated!

2 (edited by nalcorn 2011-02-23 09:32:08)

Re: Automatically starting framebuffer

Instead of creating /psp/rcS.  Try /mnt/usb/debugchumby.  Basically put a debugchumby script on a USB dongle.

3 (edited by Thomas_Lerman 2011-02-23 10:41:40)

Thank you for your reply. Creating the script (shown in my original posting) in /psp/rcS is what locks up the Chumby while booting.

I have tried creating debugchumby on several USB drives with the following contents

#!/bin/sh

rm /psp/rcS

and it does not seem to help. I am wondering if ONE of the following might be the case:

1. The /psp/rcS gets executed before the debugchumby on the USB drive gets executed? In other words, rcS locks it up before debugchumby can remove the file.

2. None of my USB drives can be used on the Chumby? It seems like modern Linux can read most USB drives.

3. Something else that I have not thought of

Side, but possibly related, question: Obviously, the Chumby probably uses a solid state drive. By chance, is it on a SD card or what?

Please continue to help me.

Yeah, you've pretty much borked the device.

HINT - if you're going to replace rcS, you have to do everything else that rcS does, *plus* whatever else you want it to do.

What you'll probably need to do is open up the device, remove the SD card, attempt to mount the partitions on a Linux box, remove the /psp/rcS file you made, then put the card back.

Good to know about the SD card. I was thinking that might be a way to fix it. I did not replace the rcS file, but rather created it following some other instructions.

We'll make a change to the built-in rcS to only run the /psp/rcS if you're in "normal mode" - that way you could write a debugchumby script to remove the file when booting into "special options" mode.

If you can give me a link to the instructions you followed, I can edit them to at least warn people not to do this unless they are *very* careful.

That worked! Thank you. It was very easy to get to the SD card, etc. I noticed 4 partitions at 128, 614, 150, & 150 MB each. with the following directories / files. Just for anyone that might be interested. I believe I have displayed them in the order listed above.

8...: lost+found  flashplayer.cache

3...: widget_shuffle   nightmode_brightness disable_intro volume    network_configs dimlevel usr    network_config daymode_brightness use_ntp    net_adapters  crontabs url_streams   mute   clockoverlay.xml UPDATE1    lost+found  clock_format udev    localtime  cgi-bin ts_settings   install  branding ts_hid_settings   ifalarm  backup_list timezone_city   hw_version  asound.conf.usb timezone   hotspot  asound.conf.multi
start_sshd   hosts   asound.conf.internal shoutcast_search  hostname  asound.conf fmradiostation alarm_volume
pandora_stn   fmradio_presets alarms pan    fmradioband ntp.drift   firsttime

disk: www  tmp    sbin  proc lost+found  LICENSES  home  bitmap var  sys    root  opt lock     libexec   etc   bin usr  share  psp   mnt linuxrc     lib       dev

disk_: www  tmp    sbin  proc lost+found  LICENSES  home  bitmap var  sys    root  opt lock     libexec   etc   bin usr  share  psp   mnt linuxrc     lib       dev

By the way, that would be great to be able to bypass executing of the /psp/rcS script. Is this an auto-update, something we would be able to update, or something posted? I am not sure what the process is. I actually have several people that are wanting to get a Chumby now. By the way, what would the proper way of starting this during boot-time? Obviously, NOT /psp/rcS!

You should generally use the "debugchumby" method - there's even one called "debugchumbyearly" that happens earlier in the process.

10 (edited by Thomas_Lerman 2011-02-25 08:12:04)

As long as there is a USB drive in, correct? According to the Wiki page, that is the case. I have not read anything else about "debugchumbyearly" except one other thread. Any chance of it going into the Wiki?

How do the Local boot scripts fit into the picture of the debugchumby* files (obviously, debugchumby* files are on the USB and the other ones are not)? I am curious about the placement & order. I see another thread that talks just a bit about order. Maybe the details of all this could be on the Wiki?