Topic: Widget refreshing

I've mentioned this once before in regards to the Dash, but now I am experiencing the same issue on the Infocast.  Is there some magic trick to actually get a current widget to update on the unit?  I've pushed the refresh button what seems 100's of times (wait 10 minutes...) and have resorted to power cycling the unit, which is doing nothing as well.

I can't tell you how much this quickly blows the wind out of my sails.  This is when using the bleeding edge firmware, if that makes a difference.

-dev

Re: Widget refreshing

It's not the firmware - it's a server-side thing.

Now that we use S3 to host the widgets, it takes some time to propagate them everywhere they need to be after upload.  As we expand to more CDNs around the world, this might even get a little worse before it gets better.

We're trying to shorten that time, or find some other strategy to feed recently updated widgets, but you're right - it's pretty painful at the moment for developers that are doing frequent updates.

Thanks Duane.  The S3 thing makes sense.  I have a similar issue with CL using S3.  Would be nice to find a solution though.

-dev

One question - are you just refreshing the channels on the main UI?  If so, that might be an issue.

Unlike the C1 and Classic CP, the Infocast CP doesn't clear the HTTP cache on a channel refresh.  What you may be seeing is the old widget stuck in the cache, even if it *has* propagated to S3.

You might just have to restart the Control Panel.

Okay, that may be it.  Thanks.

-dev

6 (edited by cbreeze 2011-10-04 14:58:39)

I commonly see a very dramatic difference between how soon the C1 and Infocast 8 get an update before the classic actually does.  Are they metered differently?

Yes, the CC is using an older Control Panel, which has different timing rules.

We're trying to get them in sync at some point.