Topic: Want to remove installed apps on a Sony Dash

I want to remove some of the apps that came pre-installed on my Dash.

I can't ask a "hacking" question in the official Sony Dash section/forum, and I've Googled into oblivion with no success.

The search feature here hasn't turned up anything that seems to apply to what I want to do.

I can remove apps that I install myself, but the official Sony position is "you can't remove the apps we installed".

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Garrett

Re: Want to remove installed apps on a Sony Dash

I'm not sure which apps you're talking about - if you mean the apps/widgets, you should be able to add/edit/remove them from the website.  You can create you own channels of apps and populate them with only the things you want.

If you're talking about the things in the Music and Video menus, the "themes", or the Control Panel itself, then no, you can't change those.  They are fed from a Sony-controlled server using a secure protocol.

Basically, these devices are not designed to be "hackable" in any manner.  Internally, we do our hacking on the chumby-branded or Insignia branded devices, not the dash.

Thanks Duane.

The Dash comes with some pre-installed apps, like New York Times Podcast, Dr. Oz, etc (maybe 15 different ones altogether).

It's impossible to uninstall these despite my best efforts.
I did ask about this in the Sony Dash Forum, and got an official answer from the Sony moderator: "You can't"

I am sure there is a hack out there, but I am unable to find it.

Thanks,

Garrett

Yeah, you're talking about the ones in the Music and Video menus.

Those cannot be removed.  We're not aware of any hack that can do so.

They're not actually "installed" on your device.  The New York Times Podcasts is built into the Control Panel (which, as I said, can't be replaced, since it's cryptographically signed and downloaded from Sony's serverd), and the Dr Oz stuff is actually a BIVL service which is downloaded on the fly.