51 (edited by cow009 2011-02-13 20:46:35)

Re: Using Chumby offline

Hi Christian,
I appreciate your long and detailed answer;

Here are some updates and question: 
1) I was able to boot up to the Insignia boot screen by moving the Insignia controlpanel.swf to the USB stick.
2) Thanks for the explanation on debugchumbyearly. 
    Question) Still a little confused as to: Who calls debugchumby early?  Is it by default any file with debugchumby will be called at boot up by chumby?  Or do I need to rename debugchumby with debugchumbyearly?

After I bootup with the USB stick and I view /psp/hosts, and I still see the 'original' psp hosts file, instead of the one with chumby.com, etc. etc. Where should I start looking to find the problem?

Also, there shouldn't be any problem with replacing the inbuilt http server with lighty ( a more fuller version) right?

It looks like the intranet is working fine without the internet connection;  However my bootup time is much longer than usual;  Do you have any suggestions?  Looks like it's checking for internet connection a long time;

By the way, When I'm trying to execute debugchumby through SSH script I get the following error:

?:/mnt/usb-F400-6C25 # ./debugchumby
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    invalid argument "WPA2PSK".
ifconfig: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

?:/mnt/usb-F400-6C25 # more debugchumby
iwconfig rausb0 mode WPA2PSK essid MyNetwork key 1234ABCD
ifconfig rausb0 192.168.2.101 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255

Could anyone help me find the issue?  It looks to me, since there is an error with debugchumby, the bootup process is ignoring the debugchumby and booting normally;

Thx

Can someone help with my issue on Insignia?

cow009 wrote:

2) Thanks for the explanation on debugchumbyearly. 
    Question) Still a little confused as to: Who calls debugchumby early?  Is it by default any file with debugchumby will be called at boot up by chumby?  Or do I need to rename debugchumby with debugchumbyearly?

The debugchumbyearly works the same way as the debugchumby, but is called a little bit earlier in the bootup process.

cow009 wrote:

After I bootup with the USB stick and I view /psp/hosts, and I still see the 'original' psp hosts file, instead of the one with chumby.com, etc. etc. Where should I start looking to find the problem?

First, check whether the stick is mounted to /mnt/usb. From your other post I got the impression that it is mounted to /mnt/usb-F400-6C25. If it is not reachable under "/mnt/usb/", you have to modify the script accordingly.

If that isn't the problem, then ssh into the chumby and try to execute the first line of the debugchumbyearly manually. If this works, then the debugchumbyearly isn't called on your device...

cow009 wrote:

Also, there shouldn't be any problem with replacing the inbuilt http server with lighty ( a more fuller version) right?

That should not cause problems.

cow009 wrote:

It looks like the intranet is working fine without the internet connection;  However my bootup time is much longer than usual;  Do you have any suggestions?  Looks like it's checking for internet connection a long time;

It's possible that it is waiting for some sort of timeout, but I don't know.

Christian - back from holiday wink

There is a softlink /mnt/usb on whatever USB stick is plugged, so that should not be a problem. May be the WLAN interface is called differently on the Insignia? Then "rausb0" would not fit.

Hello,

I too would love to have my Chumby One to work offline (i.e. listen to music off USB).  I tried Christians' scripts and they seem to work if I re-boot with the WiFi on ... at least I see a different clock and panel options, but if I do a cold reboot with WiFi off, it doesn't.  I'm a little lost as to whether or not I need to change some of the files to add my Chumby ID info or whether it should just work as is.  Any help would be appreciated.

57 (edited by stein 2011-10-23 13:14:49)

Hi Guys!

http://www.chumby.com not accessible tonight from EU.

I tried the 2.0 & 1.0 version of Christian, alo not working. The screen stop at the floating logo with "chumby".

I have a Chumby Classic same as Christian's. the USB stick was light as at beginning, not stop light eventually. Any suggestion?

thanks and regards

Can anyone else confirm that chumby.com is not accessible from Europe?

stein wrote:

I tried the 2.0 & 1.0 version of Christian, alo not working. The screen stop at the floating logo with "chumby".

Strange. Which firmware version is installed on your chumby?

60 (edited by servalan 2012-01-29 00:25:16)

Thanks for your scripts... I've just modified them slightly & configured my chumby to be 'offline' while on-line... i.e. all widgets & control panel local & the ability to stream & listen to local mp3 files.

BTW - I found my widgets weren't cycling through with your setup... so I edited /mnt/usb/www/xml/profiles to change:

<mode time="1" mode="cooperative"/>
to:
<mode time="120" mode="timeout"/>

altering the mode time to suit - values in seconds.

I've also modified the startup script so that the chumby can have an ssh root pw as I've always had it setup here:

chumby:/mnt/usb# more debugchumbyearly
mount -t loop -o bind /psp/etc /etc
nice -n -20 /usr/sbin/httpd -h /mnt/usb/www
cp /mnt/usb/hosts /psp/hosts

chumby:/mnt/usb# more debugchumby
#!/bin/sh
cp /mnt/usb/shadow /etc/shadow
cp /mnt/usb/url_streams /psp/url_streams
cp /mnt/usb/music_order /psp/music_order

I found all my widgets with coded names in /tmp along with the latest controlpanel.swf - I snaffled a copy of those & popped them into /mnt/usb - changing the names of the widgets to widgetname.swf (the file order was the same as the channel order) & editing /mnt/usb/www/xml/profiles to suit.

So no more chumby.com outages for me! Thank you!

I have classic 3.5 chumby.  Unzipped the files onto USB and it almost works.  I don't believe I have an internet connection.  Confused about ip numbers in debuchumby,  My chumby gets a static DHCP ip from router, 192.168.0.111

62 (edited by zurk 2012-03-11 19:53:20)

its easier to start with my firmware for the chumby1 and modify than to start from scratch. the original zip from this thread is very incomplete.
i dont know if the classic will run chumby1 firmware directly but you should be able to modify it fairly easily.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/fi … p/download

63 (edited by servalan 2012-03-22 13:34:59)

I posted these over on the Internode forum a while ago - during the last chumby.com outage... I have a chumby classic (black beanbag type chumby circa 2008). It may help others here:

Post #1
A few weeks ago I made my chumby standalone. Didn't want another outage which impacted what for me is essentially a streaming radio.

I used a combination of these ideas – which makes your chumby completely go off-line:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=1982

to make the chumby net aware. It now runs in 'offline mode' with all my widgets running locally & the ability to stream & listen to mp3 files. It is unshackled from the chumby site.

Involved copying a few files from /tmp to /mnt/usb & rejigging the chumby startup. If you want more details I'll post, it was surprisingly easy to setup.

My plan is to boot it every so often in 'on-line' mode to see if there are control panel/firmware improvements.

Post #2
Ok – I've just made a backup of the config files on my USB stick & zipped them up here:

http://www.users.on.net/~servalan/Chumb … ackled.zip

I suggest you read:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=1982

as background. In particular my last post about where I found my widgets & how you can grab local copies of them.

If you put the Chumby Unshackled files on a USB stick, it should boot to run a simple web server masquerading as chumby.com & 4 widgets:
24 hour clock, Radio Paradise Now Playing, Internode News & Now Playing.

There will be an sshd running, you should be able to ssh in without a passwd as root or default. The control panel is the last beta control panel I booted normally with (2.8.84).

The url_streams & music order can be fiddled with, you can add a root passwd to the shadow file.

If you want to go back to using your chumby in 'normal' mode, ssh into the chumby & edit the /psp/hosts file to restore the normal localhost line & reboot without the Unshackled USB stick – vi works fine as an editor.
e.g. Unshackled mode /psp/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost chumby.com www.chumby.com xml.chumby.com update.chumby.com
#127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Shackled mode /psp/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
#127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost chumby.com www.chumby.com xml.chumby.com update.chumby.com

This works for me – YMMV. i.e. don't blame me if it mucks up your chumby. I suggest you take a backup of all the files on your chumby using scp or a virgin USB stick + ssh login before you begin.

Let me know if you have any questions or hassles – perhaps better taken to the chumby forum?

(edit: just updated the control panel in Chumby Unshackled.zip to 2.8.84)