Topic: Developing external music sources

I'd like to develop an external music source for my Chumby.  Can this be done using only ActionScript and FlashDevelop?  The example (http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … net_Radio) includes FLA files for both panel and player, which I assume are used by Flash Professional.  I don't have access to this tool.  Can these FLA files be eliminated or their functions implemented in ActionScript?  (I'm new to Flash development.)  Thanks for the help.

Re: Developing external music sources

You should be able to create a Music Source with Flash Develop exclusively - it's free.

That's what I was hoping to hear.  Does a simple Music Source exist that was implemented entirely in ActionScript?  If not, how would I go about modifying the example?

Hmm, not at the moment.  However, the documentation should be enough to get you started, since it shows the protocol it uses.  Any pubic documentation about using pure Actionscript for the creation of Flash graphics would apply equally to music sources.

I am close, but have a couple of questions.  The documentation for the music player states that "The Music Player FLA should contain a single symbol placed off stage...and have the following code on its first frame:  this.player = ExternalPlayer.getInstance()."  How is this accomplished in a pure ActionScript implementation?  Same question regarding the statement in the music panel section "The Music Panel FLA should contain a sole clip with an instance name of "panel"."  Thanks again.

In FlashDevelop, you'd do the same thing in the main() function.  In this case, you'd probably create an empty MovieClip called "panel" and set its prototype to your implementation class.  There should be a function in MCUtils that combines this operation.