Topic: Insignia Infocast Private Widget?

I purchased an 8” Insignia Infocast over the weekend so I may do some Chumby hacking.  I have written and tested a simple Hello World SWF application, but am completely at a loss as how to get it to load on the Infocast.  I am having a terrible feeling that the only widgets I may run on this device (through the control panel) are the official ones available for download.  I have spent over five hours researching where the profile.xml can load from, and none of these work despite my control panel having a rev of 3.1.21 (the USB one should work in all cases).

Starting with Control Panel 2.8.75, it will look for:
    /tmp/profile.xml
    /mnt/usb/profile.xml
    /mnt/storage/profile.xml
    /psp/profile.xml
    ...in that order, the first match will be used.

I guess I can’t write my own personal apps for the Infocast?  How do developers test their apps?  I am not necessarily asking for any specific help here other than a confirmation that a developer can test his 800x600 widget through the control panel on the Infocast.

I have confirmed my widget loads via:
    stop_control_panel
    chumbyflashplayer.x -i <path or URL to your widget>

Re: Insignia Infocast Private Widget?

The "profile.xml" hack is not available on the Infocast 8", only the 3.5" devices.

If you look on this page, each hack has icons for the devices it operates with.

You can run it directly, as you've done, then upload it to the website when you think it's ready using the "submit an app" item in the "apps" menu.

Reading the forums, it sounds like other Chumby devices have a website where you can upload your widgets to your own account for addition to your own control panel.  When you say “upload to the website” I take it to mean publicly?  In my case, I have a very specific application where I want to control my own RS485 devices where my widget(s) would have no applicability to anyone else (outside of the source itself).

I should point out that “the profile.xml hack” really is not a hack per-se, but a legitimate development need for anyone who wants to integration test their widgets.  It is worth raising this issue with the Insignia steering group since no other 800x600 Chumby devices exist for developers to natively develop their widgets, which would seem to me to be in the interest of the Insignia Infocast product.

4 (edited by aa6vh 2011-01-02 10:08:25)

The "Submit new app" web page has a check box to indicate if the new widget is Private or Public.

I have found that uploading it as private makes the widget appear immediately, so that I can then add it to one of my channels and test it.

I believe that Public widgets do have to go through an approval process.